cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Auto ISO issue

sandypac
Apprentice

I have been having a problem with using Auto ISO on my new Canon 7D Mark II. Even though the camera is set to Auto ISO lately in Aperture Priority mode the ISO is stuck on 100. If I switch to Shutter Priority or Manual modes Auto ISO works just fine, but in Aperture Priority and Program mode it stays stuck. But then when I take the camera back inside and reattach the lens, Auto ISO again works in Aperture Priority. Just seems to be out in the field I am having this problem.

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@sandypac wrote:

I have been having a problem with using Auto ISO on my new Canon 7D Mark II. Even though the camera is set to Auto ISO lately in Aperture Priority mode the ISO is stuck on 100. If I switch to Shutter Priority or Manual modes Auto ISO works just fine, but in Aperture Priority and Program mode it stays stuck. But then when I take the camera back inside and reattach the lens, Auto ISO again works in Aperture Priority. Just seems to be out in the field I am having this problem.

You have to tell the camera the minimum shutter speed you want when using Auto ISO in AV mode, otherwise it will keep giving you a slower and slower shutter speed, rather than raising the ISO.

Canon DLC: Taking advantage of Auto ISO

Shutter Speed

Until now, one problem that kept many pros away from Auto ISO was that there was no meaningful control over how slow a shutter speed might be selected in low-light conditions. But with Canon’s recently introduced SLRs, the photographer can tailor Auto ISO to give exactly this type of control. A separate menu entry, Minimum shutter speed, provides the following settings:

Auto: Camera will continue to try to maintain a shutter speed of at least 1 over the lens focal length, changing ISO to maintain this as long as possible. The camera will tend to pick lower ISOs and slower speeds when using standard or wide-angle lenses.

User-defined shutter speed: Photographer can pick a speed from 1 second to 1/250 of a second and the camera will only go below this shutter speed after it has raised its ISO to the highest available setting, based on Maximum ISO set by the user under Auto ISO range.

When in Av mode, I usually don't use Auto ISO.  I specify an ISO setting, and let the camera automatically decide on a shutter speed setting.  Likewise, when in Tv mode, I will specify an ISO, and let the camera decide on an aperture setting. 

Exposure Triangle

Similarly, I will only use Auto ISO in M mode.  i specify shutter speed and aperture, and let the camera figure out the best ISO.  I always want to control at least two legs of the Exposure Triangle, letting the camera decide on just one setting, the third leg..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle: Normally I would agree with you and perhaps I will decide to start shooting this way. However, I still would like to resolve this issue of the Auto ISO not budging in Aperture Priority Mode.

You might try with and without the flash, that might fool the auto ISO.

TTMartin: This sounds plausible.  I don't have the camera with me right now, but when I get home I will try to find where to change this in the menus. Thanks for your response. I was hoping it might be something simple like this. Also hoping not to have to clear all the settings and start again from scratch.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2014/eos7dmkii_autoiso.shtml

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2014/eos7dmkii_autoiso.shtml

Now we need a firmware upgrade to give the 5D Mark III the same capability!

Or, for that matter, the original 7D. A lot of us still have those.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You probably have a setting incorrectly set.

Read the article jrhoffman's link shows.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements