cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark 2!

The 7D Mark II shows up now on the Canon Web site. As some have predicted, it looks (at first glance, anyway) a lot like a crop-frame 5D3. Price is just slightly under the 6D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
20 REPLIES 20

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@cale_kat wrote:

I read an interview with a Canon dude and it was reported that the wifi needed better exposure to the surrounding area than the mag alloy body would permit. Possibly a case of "the pursuit of additional sales" on wifi modules.

I think the fundamental problem is that wifi wouldn't be well accepted on a professional camera unless it worked a lot better than it apparently does on the 6D and the 70D. The 6D and 70D installations can be seen as an experiment that has exposed some technical issues that are not worth fixing well enough to justify including wifi on a 7D2 or a 5D4. Obviously a wifi-equipped 5D4 would prove me wrong about that. But if the 5D4 is announced in the next twelve months, I'll bet it doesn't have wifi.

Have you tried WiFi on those cameras, or are you just basing this off internet banter?  I find the Canon software to be lacking, but the WiFi is fantastic on my 6D.  To each their own, but I'd expect any camera I buy from here on out to have WiFi.   Which, for sake of discussion,   I don't care to dig into nonsense semantics again, but the 6D is every bit as much a "professional camera" as the 7D line.  Hell, even the 60D and 70D are on Canon's Professional Imaging Products page.  There is no official definition of professional camera as far as I know, nor should there, because it's meaningless.  I know the internet loves to debate this as a means of elevating one camera above another, but all these cameras are used in the trenches by professional photographers every day.

I'm not buying the excuse that the all metal chassis prevented WiFi on the 7D2.  I have several devices, such as laptops, that have metal chassis and the WiFi works just fine.  Regardless, they could have chosen to embed an antenna into the molding outside the chassis, or into a grip, or simply put in a port so you plug in an external

@Skirball wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@cale_kat wrote:

I read an interview with a Canon dude and it was reported that the wifi needed better exposure to the surrounding area than the mag alloy body would permit. Possibly a case of "the pursuit of additional sales" on wifi modules.

I think the fundamental problem is that wifi wouldn't be well accepted on a professional camera unless it worked a lot better than it apparently does on the 6D and the 70D. The 6D and 70D installations can be seen as an experiment that has exposed some technical issues that are not worth fixing well enough to justify including wifi on a 7D2 or a 5D4. Obviously a wifi-equipped 5D4 would prove me wrong about that. But if the 5D4 is announced in the next twelve months, I'll bet it doesn't have wifi.

Have you tried WiFi on those cameras, or are you just basing this off internet banter?

Just the Internet banter (but you'll have to admit there's a lot of it). My wifi background, from a computer perspective, is pretty good, though.

I find the Canon software to be lacking, but the WiFi is fantastic on my 6D.  To each their own, but I'd expect any camera I buy from here on out to have WiFi.   Which, for sake of discussion,   I don't care to dig into nonsense semantics again, but the 6D is every bit as much a "professional camera" as the 7D line.  Hell, even the 60D and 70D are on Canon's Professional Imaging Products page.  There is no official definition of professional camera as far as I know, nor should there, because it's meaningless.  I know the internet loves to debate this as a means of elevating one camera above another, but all these cameras are used in the trenches by professional photographers every day.

Sure, but I think those who buy a 7D2 or 5D3 are apt to be more picky than those who buy a 70D or a 6D. That's only weakly related to the relative merits of the cameras.

As for Canon's definition of "professional" products, it's certainly broader than that of many Internet commentators. FWIW, the place to find that definition in plain text is the list of what equipment counts toward eligibility for Gold or Platinum CPS membership. That can be found on Canon's Web site if one pokes around a bit.

I'm not buying the excuse that the all metal chassis prevented WiFi on the 7D2.  I have several devices, such as laptops, that have metal chassis and the WiFi works just fine.  Regardless, they could have chosen to embed an antenna into the molding outside the chassis, or into a grip, or simply put in a port so you plug in an external

All very true.

Bob

"... the excuse that the all metal chassis prevented WiFi on the 7D2."

Bob from Boston,

I would bet it was the lack of room that was the problem.  When you still feel the need to have that wimpy built-in flash it limits space somewhat.  But Canon must feel that wimpy little flash is a feature on it's semi-pro models.  I am surprized they couldn'd find room on the 6D for one!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm not buying the excuse that the all metal chassis prevented WiFi on the 7D2. I have several devices, such as laptops, that have metal chassis and the WiFi works just fine. Regardless, they could have chosen to embed an antenna into the molding outside the chassis, or into a grip, or simply put in a port so you plug in an external

Agreed, there is nothing definitive about the comment but the inability of Wi-Fi to penetrate metal is well documented.

FelipeHenao
Apprentice

I wonder if I have to wait until Mosaic engineering releases a Moire filter for this particular model, or if this 7D Mark II has not Moire problems, Also Does it has some type of focusing aids for manual focus???

@FelipeHenao wrote:

I wonder if I have to wait until Mosaic engineering releases a Moire filter for this particular model, or if this 7D Mark II has not Moire problems, ...

That concern surprises me. Have you had Moiré problems with a 7D? Of the thousands of pictures I've taken with my 7D's, I believe only one ever showed a noticeable Moiré pattern.

Bob

Moire in video on 7D is tremendous, But seems it was solved just like the 5D Mark III on 7D Mark II.

Seems does not mean it is; I'm asking

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@FelipeHenao wrote:

I wonder if I have to wait until Mosaic engineering releases a Moire filter for this particular model, or if this 7D Mark II has not Moire problems, ...

That concern surprises me. Have you had Moiré problems with a 7D? Of the thousands of pictures I've taken with my 7D's, I believe only one ever showed a noticeable Moiré pattern.

Moire is typically a problem with video, not stills (mostly).

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"As some have predicted, it looks (at first glance, anyway) a lot like a crop-frame 5D3."

Actually the 5D Mk III looks like a FF, 7D as the 7D predates it somewhat.  The biggest, best, thing I can see is the 63 point "cross-type" focus system.

When I had my 7D and 5D Mk III, they were almost twins.  Even my 5D Mk II was close to the same design.

On the 1 series, Bob from Boston, you must be getting old.  My 7 year old grandson carries my 1D Mk IIn around.  He loves it.

As to the pro's you have seen, even though the 5 series is a mightyl fine machine, it is no where as durabile as the 1 series is.

Believe me I have seen some pretty rough treatment by them, when, to them it is just a tool.  And it is just another job. And they use them and use them for years and years.  The freelance photog's I know buy their cameras but rent the lenses.

But of you watch closely after a football game (or other big sporting events) for instance and all the players run onto the field, you will see a lot of the photograhpers using 5d3's.  No battery grips. Just the camera. I suspose because it is lighter and carries better?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"As some have predicted, it looks (at first glance, anyway) a lot like a crop-frame 5D3."

Actually the 5D Mk III looks like a FF, 7D as the 7D predates it somewhat.  The biggest, best, thing I can see is the 63 point "cross-type" focus system.

When I had my 7D and 5D Mk III, they were almost twins.  Even my 5D Mk II was close to the same design.

There's one annoying misfeature of the 5D3 that they probably won't correct on the 7D2: If you've told the camera to write on, say, the CF card and you take the CF card out to read it, then of course it fails over to the SD card. But when you put the CF card back in, the camera keeps using the SD card until you tell it otherwise.

On the 1 series, Bob from Boston, you must be getting old.  My 7 year old grandson carries my 1D Mk IIn around.  He loves it.

Well, none of us are getting any younger, but I guess I could carry a 1D if I had to. But I really wouldn't want to try to juggle a 1D and any other camera. And I use two cameras more often than not.

As to the pro's you have seen, even though the 5 series is a mightyl fine machine, it is no where as durabile as the 1 series is.

At about twice the price of a 5D3, the 1DX had better be at least twice as durable. And with the possible exception of reserve battery capacity, I don't believe any 1-series camera prior to the 1DX has any meaningful performance spec that significantly exceeds the corresponding functionality of the 5D3.

Believe me I have seen some pretty rough treatment by them, when, to them it is just a tool.  And it is just another job. And they use them and use them for years and years.  The freelance photog's I know buy their cameras but rent the lenses.

I'd have thought it might be the other way around, since cameras seem to change faster than lenses do.

But of you watch closely after a football game (or other big sporting events) for instance and all the players run onto the field, you will see a lot of the photograhpers using 5d3's.  No battery grips. Just the camera. I suspose because it is lighter and carries better?

If I were one of those trudging out onto the field, I'd rather be carrying a 5D3.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Announcements