cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark 2!

The 7D Mark II shows up now on the Canon Web site. As some have predicted, it looks (at first glance, anyway) a lot like a crop-frame 5D3. Price is just slightly under the 6D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
20 REPLIES 20

I don't see any mention of built-in flash or WiFi. Can't immediately tell whether it has the 70D's dual-mode autofocus. If it does, they don't seem to be bragging about it.

Bob

I thought it did have flash, but now that I look at the specs I don't see mention of it.  It kinda surprises me they'd remove it, but they are claiming 1D-like weather sealing, whatever that means, so perhaps they couldn't do the flash.  It doesn't really fit into the cameras design, as it's heavily featured for wild life use, but there are a lot of people out there that are adamant about having flash.   It does not have WiFi, but it does have GPS.

It may be semantics, but I don't know that I'd call it a crop frame 5d3.  The specs set this up as an action camera, aimed at pro wildlife photogs and the lot.  The 5d3 has a great AF system, but it's far from it's defining quality.  I don't really think it's best to compare to other cameras, but if I had to I'd probably say it's more like the 1dX.  Rugged build, 200,000 shutter count, fast fps, wide spread AF... 

Plenty of information over at Canon Rumors, they've been going nuts over this since it was announced at Photokina last weekend

• 20.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and ISO 100–16000 (expandable to H1: 25600, H2: 51200) for reduced noise at high ISOs and high performance Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors for outstanding image quality and processing speed.

• High speed continuous shooting up to 10.0 fps allows you to capture fast action.

• 65-point* all cross-type AF system for high-performance, accurate subject tracking with EV -3 sensitivity (center point) for focusing in extreme low-light conditions.

• Canon’s innovative Dual Pixel CMOS AF enables you to shoot video like a camcorder with smooth, fast, and accurate autofocus and lets you enjoy instant and precise autofocus even when shooting stills.

• Stunning Full HD video with Custom Movie Servo AF (speed and sensitivity) for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects, multiple frame rates including Full HD recording at 60p in MOV and MP4 formats and uncompressed HDMI out.

• Intelligent Viewfinder II provides approximately 100% field of view for shooting ease.

• Improved custom controls and built-in intervalometer and bulb timer for expanded creativity.

• Magnesium alloy body with shutter durability up to 200,000 cycles and enhanced dust and weather resistance.

• EOS Scene Detection System features a new 150,000-pixel/RGB+IR metering sensor for improved precision.

• Built-in GPS** Receiver provides a digital compass, records location information (longitude, latitude, elevation and universal coordinated time (UTC)) as EXIF information for geotagging images when shooting.

• 3.0-inch Clear View II LCD monitor (approximately 1,040,000 dots) for bright and clear viewing.

• Additional Features

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=22747.0

@Skirball wrote:

I thought it did have flash, but now that I look at the specs I don't see mention of it.  It kinda surprises me they'd remove it, but they are claiming 1D-like weather sealing, whatever that means, so perhaps they couldn't do the flash.  It doesn't really fit into the cameras design, as it's heavily featured for wild life use, but there are a lot of people out there that are adamant about having flash.   It does not have WiFi, but it does have GPS.

Maybe the GPS receiver is where the flash would have been. Frankly, I found the built-in flash on my 7D's nearly useless after I bought the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens, since the latter casts a huge shadow in the flash's coverage area.

It may be semantics, but I don't know that I'd call it a crop frame 5d3.  The specs set this up as an action camera, aimed at pro wildlife photogs and the lot.  The 5d3 has a great AF system, but it's far from it's defining quality.  I don't really think it's best to compare to other cameras, but if I had to I'd probably say it's more like the 1dX.  Rugged build, 200,000 shutter count, fast fps, wide spread AF... 

I've always regarded the 7D as a camera for event photographers and photojournalists, since we/they often don't have time to change lenses and are therefore likely to carry more than one camera. But my actual observation, when I've covered events with photojournalists present, is that they're most likely to lug around an assortment of 1D's and 5D's, presumably because, what the hell, their employers will buy them whatever they want. I guess they have a higher threshold of pain than I have. I can be pretty damned sore after a few hours with two 7D's, especially if one of them is carrying, as it often is, a 70-200 f/2.8. As for wildlife photography, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion on what equipment is appropriate for its practitioners.

Added 10/3/14:

Over in another thread, a couple of wildlife photographers are indeed salivating over the 7D2, even as they discuss recent shoots with their 1DXes. One, possibly both, already has a 7D2 on order. So if the camera is aimed at wildlife photographers, maybe it's finding its mark.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Skirball wrote:
Maybe the GPS receiver is where the flash would have been. Frankly, I found the built-in flash on my 7D's nearly useless after I bought the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens, since the latter casts a huge shadow in the flash's coverage area.

I've always regarded the 7D as a camera for event photographers and photojournalists, since we/they often don't have time to change lenses and are therefore likely to carry more than one camera. But my actual observation, when I've covered events with photojournalists present, is that they're most likely to lug around an assortment of 1D's and 5D's, presumably because, what the hell, their employers will buy them whatever they want. I guess they have a higher threshold of pain than I have. I can be pretty damned sore after a few hours with two 7D's, especially if one of them is carrying, as it often is, a 70-200 f/2.8. As for wildlife photography, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion on what equipment is appropriate for its practitioners.

Yeah, I don't really miss in-camera flash on my 6D.  There are a few times when it would be nice, but usually when I use flash I use off-camera.  I'm guessing it has more to do with sealing than it does space.  Canon never quantifies what their weather sealing entails, but I expect this one to be pretty rugged.

Interesting take on the 7D.  When I think event photographer I usually think full frame.  But I do see the use in photojournalism.  That's why I was surprised it didn't have WiFi, seems like something photojournalists could use.  Though I suppose everyone has smart phones these days.

I'm really curious as to how the high iso looks on this one.  As usual, any time a major release comes out there are plenty of critics of the specs.  But if it has a decent bump up in hi iso, combined with those specs, I think it'll be a pretty awesome camera, one to live up to the 7D reputation.

Speaking of 7D... I picked up a refurbished 7D at a very attractive price (just over $700) at the Canon store last weekend. Arrives tomorrow!

The spec for the 7D mark2 is listed.

no wifi bulit in.

dual card slots =p

you can purchase a eye-fi sd for wifi and a cf =p.

@Justw2o wrote:

The spec for the 7D mark2 is listed.

no wifi bulit in.

dual card slots =p

you can purchase a eye-fi sd for wifi and a cf =p.

Eye-fi isn't remotely close to the same thing as built in WiFi.

I read an interview with a Canon dude and it was reported that the wifi needed better exposure to the surrounding area than the mag alloy body would permit. Possibly a case of "the pursuit of additional sales" on wifi modules.

@cale_kat wrote:

I read an interview with a Canon dude and it was reported that the wifi needed better exposure to the surrounding area than the mag alloy body would permit. Possibly a case of "the pursuit of additional sales" on wifi modules.

I think the fundamental problem is that wifi wouldn't be well accepted on a professional camera unless it worked a lot better than it apparently does on the 6D and the 70D. The 6D and 70D installations can be seen as an experiment that has exposed some technical issues that are not worth fixing well enough to justify including wifi on a 7D2 or a 5D4. Obviously a wifi-equipped 5D4 would prove me wrong about that. But if the 5D4 is announced in the next twelve months, I'll bet it doesn't have wifi.

Bob
Announcements