Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

7D MKII Software Request for Custom Modes

7D Mark II – Custom Modes – Software Change Request

The Custom Modes are great and allow me to switch from indoor ice hockey to outdoor daylight soccer, to nighttime under-the-lights football – just by turning the dial.

My request is for two modifications to the Custom Modes configuration activities:

• Allow me to change the shooting mode (Av, Tv, or M) of C1, C2, or C3. (from within the custom mode)

-OR-

• Give me the option to push the C1, C2, or C3 settings back onto the base settings. (Where I can change the mode, etc. and re-register back to one of the custom modes)

-AND-

• Let me name and Save Current Configuration to protected files, then be able to Restore them.
PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
Honored Contributor

Re: 7D MKII Software Request for Custom Modes

@PajamaGuy wrote:

7D Mark II – Custom Modes – Software Change Request

The Custom Modes are great and allow me to switch from indoor ice hockey to outdoor daylight soccer, to nighttime under-the-lights football – just by turning the dial.

My request is for two modifications to the Custom Modes configuration activities:

• Allow me to change the shooting mode (Av, Tv, or M) of C1, C2, or C3. (from within the custom mode)

-OR-

• Give me the option to push the C1, C2, or C3 settings back onto the base settings. (Where I can change the mode, etc. and re-register back to one of the custom modes)

-AND-

• Let me name and Save Current Configuration to protected files, then be able to Restore them.

According to my 7D manual, you can change the shooting mode in a custom function. (And in fact I think I've done it.) What the manual apparently doesn't say, but I believe is true, is that if you don't then re-register it, the change is cleared (back to the setting previously registered in the custom mode) when the camera times out and temporarily powers down. But since you can re-register the custom setting (as long as you don't let it time out first), I think it gives you what you're looking for.

All this refers to a 7D Mark I, but it's hard to believe the Mark II would handle it differently. (I've tried a couple of times in the past few days to find the Mark II manual on-line, but the currently screwed-up Canon site doesn't seem to have it.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Frequent Contributor

Bob,

You can get directly to the full manual here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-7d-mark-ii/!ut/p/...

...and you're right the site's operability is on the fritz.

But I just talked with tech support at OK Canon, and unfortunately I'm correct - you cannot change the Shooting Mode that is registered from within the Custom Shooting Mode(s).  You must re-register it. (7D and &D2) 

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.  If I register Tv to C1, I cannot change the C1's shooting mode to Av without turning the Mode dial from C1 to Av and then re-registering all current settings back to C1.  And in that process, I lose all other settings that had been in C1 - they're overwritten by whatever settings were current in Av when re-registering.

For experts, that ability probably doesn't matter, but for me while I'm still learning the nuances of the beast and fine tuning activity-specific settings, saving and restoring settings files from and to the Cn custom slots it would be really "nice to have".

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@PajamaGuy wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.  If I register Tv to C1, I cannot change the C1's shooting mode to Av without turning the Mode dial from C1 to Av and then re-registering all current settings back to C1.  And in that process, I lose all other settings that had been in C1 - they're overwritten by whatever settings were current in Av when re-registering.

For experts, that ability probably doesn't matter, but for me while I'm still learning the nuances of the beast and fine tuning activity-specific settings, saving and restoring settings files from and to the Cn custom slots it would be really "nice to have".

Keep in mind your settings in Av, Tv, and M mode don't change when you change to C1, C2, and C3. So you can actually have one preset under Av, Tv, and M and three more under the custom settings. This gives you up to 4 different presets with a turn of the mode dial.