cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D MK II picture issue

seafans
Contributor

Recently purchased a new &d MKii.  (yesterday)  Using a Conon 100-400 lens and taking pictures high speed and continuous with the shutter release button and then looking at the in Lightroom all the pictures "grayed out" about 30% on the right side of the photo.  How can this be.  This is the 8th canon camera that I have owned and used.  I have never seen this before.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From Canon:

Thank you for following up with us.

It is strange the way the right hand side of the image is grayed out. Does this issue happen often or just in this particular environment? Does the gray area stay consistent in the other images you referred to with the same issue?

If you have not already done so I recommend performing a couple of resets on the camera for further testing. Please follow the instructions below.

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

2. Close the battery/memory card doors.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

Settings Reset

1. While the camera is on turn the mode dial to "P" which is the program mode which allows all menu options to become available then press the menu button.

2. Move across the top of the menu to the last wrench tab. (Yellow tabs)

3. Go down the menu list to "Clear Settings" and press the Set button.

4. Choose "Clear all Camera Settings", and press the set button.

5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Func./Set button again.

6. Next, move over to the Custom Functions menu list.

7. Reset the "Clear all Custom Func." settings as well.

We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested. Thank you for choosing Canon.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

@KeithR wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

You guys are overthinking this. The camera apparently has a shutter problem or a light leak. Trying to figure out which is a waste of effort. If the problem is repeatable, sending the camera back for inspection and/or replacement is obviously the correct course of action.

And what do people who might subsequently have an interest in this thread learn from that attitude, Robert?

That some problems are worth trying to solve yourself, while others should be left to those with more experience and better test equipment. And that the trick is in knowing the difference.

Time spent trouble-shooting and trying to understand an issue is never time wasted.

If you say so. Others may feel that they sometimes have to make choices involving activities they consider more important.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry RobertTheFat-this is not shutter problem or a light leak.  This is a processor that is not operating properly.  One of the two processors failed or temporally failed.

From Canon:

Thank you for following up with us.

It is strange the way the right hand side of the image is grayed out. Does this issue happen often or just in this particular environment? Does the gray area stay consistent in the other images you referred to with the same issue?

If you have not already done so I recommend performing a couple of resets on the camera for further testing. Please follow the instructions below.

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

2. Close the battery/memory card doors.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

Settings Reset

1. While the camera is on turn the mode dial to "P" which is the program mode which allows all menu options to become available then press the menu button.

2. Move across the top of the menu to the last wrench tab. (Yellow tabs)

3. Go down the menu list to "Clear Settings" and press the Set button.

4. Choose "Clear all Camera Settings", and press the set button.

5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Func./Set button again.

6. Next, move over to the Custom Functions menu list.

7. Reset the "Clear all Custom Func." settings as well.

We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Interesting reply from Canon.  Did that cure your problem?  Did Canon give any response as to what was causing the problem?  Did they say anything to indicate that they were aware of this in other cameras?

I have no issue with that except I do not how.  Please explain.  I appreciate the feedback and learn something new everyday.

The pictures are the same on the camera screen.

Pratsj
Apprentice

I can’t seem to store any custom shooting modes on the dial C1, C2 and C3. When I set the dial to these and check the details with the Q view, on the left top square it says C1p, C2p and C2p (that’s right C2 and C3 show the same). I have tried clearing the wrong settings shown in the Menu without effect - the details remain unchanged. 

Would appreciate your advice on how to fix this problem.

Regards

John

If resetting the camera, as shown above does not help, then you need to call Canon. It might actually be a dial malfunction if it can't tell the difference between C2 and C3.

You did program them, right?

Thank you for your response.

To program the custom shooting modes, I set the dial on M and enter the settings I require. I then go to the menu and clear say, C3, and then press "Register". I have also tried not clearing the register before registering the new setting - hasn't worked either.

I have no problems with the settings I set for AV, TV and M. Only problem I see is when I try to register any settings on C1, C2 and C3. 

I have the latest firmware, but this problem started before I even updated the firmware. The camera used to work fine until I think I may have accidentally pressed some buttons on the camera.

This is what's shown on C3. C2 is the same. C1 is the same except for "C1p" being indicated on the top left corner.

C3.jpeg

I am going to guess that the "P" means that it has not been programmed. Did you follow this procedure:

https://support-my.canon-asia.com/contents/MY/EN/8202216800.html

Announcements