cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D M2 Shutter Button Overly Sensitive

andyandtherman
Apprentice
Hi All,

My high mileage 7DM2 is having an issue with shutter button sensitivity. If you press even extremely gently in order to focus your shot (AF), the camera will take 2 to 4 shots. This happened previously to this camera a couple of months ago, and I rectified it by removing the battery pack and pouring some isopropyl alcohol in there and with the camera upside down, pressing the shutter button hundreds of times. This dislodged whatever was in there and was a recommendation from several forums. I tried it this time, 2X in fact, and no luck.

Anyone have any ideas on what can be done to fix it myself?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It sounds like it probably needs service.  Replacing individual parts and components has become cost prohibitive cause the amount of labor time that is incurred.  It is also cost prohibitive to maintain an inventory of thousands and thousands of parts.  Changing out entire assemblies significantly reduces repair time, and cost to the end user.

This has been the standard practice when it comes to repairing complex electronics for at least two decades.  Car dealers have replacing headlight assemblies, instead of individual parts, for decades.

You can expect Canon to replace the entire top assembly, from one end to the other.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

Although it will eventually need a repair an immmediate solution would be to take the AF off of the shutter button and use back button focus.

@andyantherman,

Your camera needs repair.  Recommend you send to Canon.  You'll have it back in under 2 weeks and this will just be a memory. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Ray-uk wrote:

Although it will eventually need a repair an immmediate solution would be to take the AF off of the shutter button and use back button focus.

That was my first thought too. But if the button is sticking or jamming, not just too sensitive. BBF probably won't help.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666  This should be a minor repair.  Besides they will give it a complete going over and you said it was a well used 7D2. Have a C&C done, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666  This should be a minor repair.  Besides they will give it a complete going over and you said it was a well used 7D2. Have a C&C done, too.

This is what you want to do.  Get it repaired.  Have Canon do a cleaning and checkout.  If you want a shutter count, ask for that, too.  Be aware that you camera settings may get cleared out.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is what you want to do.  Get it repaired.  Have Canon do a cleaning and checkout.  If you want a shutter count, ask for that, too.  Be aware that you camera settings may get cleared out.  

I agree. The 7D2 is a very good camera. (I know because my wife has one.) Unless it's been treated very badly and is in really bad shape, it should be worth repairing. If the point is that you really want a new camera. the 7D2 is a worthy backup. Or you could pass it on to a younger family member.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

andyandtherman
Apprentice
Thanks everyone for the help. The button is overly sensitive now so going to back focus may let me focus, but it will still shoot 3 or 4 pics as opposed to 1. I did the alcohol clean again and it got a little better, but I think it just needs to either be sent down the road or returned to Canon. Just not sure I want to put any money into something with such high mileage.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements