cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Banding issue

dstowers
Apprentice

Has anyone else experienced excessive banding on high contrast shots done at ISO 100 on the 7D?  On lower ISOs it will get excessive lines that pretty much destroy the shot.  Have seen some references to it but as near as I can tell Canon has never officially acknowledged the issue.

6 REPLIES 6

jfo
Rising Star

I've only had my 7D a short while, but have never experienced this.  Can you post some examples?

Yes, when tonemapping you can see banding. Don´t tonemap top hard, and update Photomatix if that is your HDR-tool.

The problem isn't tonemapping excklusively, it just becomes more obvious there.  This particular example had some HDR to it, but just about any shot in low light at ISO 100 produces the same results with the areas of drop off exhibiting huge amounts of lines.  From what I have read it has something to do with the interlacing of the dual processors but I ahve never found anything official from Canon ackowledging the issue.

Basically, I know the issue is there and has been reported.

A google search will yield results discussing the issue:
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bedymh&gs_nf=3&gs_mss=Canon%207D%20Bandi&tok=nX-Dv_skBZcrA...

However, a search of Canon's site yields zero results, which leads me to think they are covering it up like is so common with manufacturers lately.

Wbradford
Apprentice

Strange I have been shooting 2 7ds for almost 3 years in some of the toughest lighting conditions you could imagine and have never seen this. I will say this I never shoot anything below 400 iso unless it's to a specific effect. I shoot alot of night time no flash work and have the noise processing set to high unless shooting sports with highspeed multi-frame exposures.

But I have never witnessed banding.

Announcements