Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

77D: changing file numbering

MarkSealey
Contributor

Hi,

Just got a new 77D.

Am using new and newly-formatted SD cards.

How do I force my Canon 77D to start numbering its (new) files from a number I choose myself, please?

In this case: #1802.

That's because '1801' is the last number which my previous Canon camera used.

I need to avoid duplicate numbering in my software (Apple Photos).

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You can downliad from the card you have and reformat or install a new card and format. You just don’t want to install a card with an out of sequence file name or it will pick up that number and start incrementing.

The camera will “remember “ the last number it used until you feed it a new number, like you just did.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try this. 

1. Take a photo

2. Remove card and insert into computer 

3. In your computer change the file name to IMG_1801

4. Reinsert card into camera

It should start renumbering following 1801

Be sure camera is set to Continuous file numbering

Remember - camera can only go to 9999, so at some point you might get duplicates. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Thanks so much!

I would never have thought of that.

But, Yes; works perfectly 🙂

Presumably the camera from now on reads the filename and adjusts its numbering intelligently accordingly?

And will it remain that way indefinitely, please?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As long as camera is set to continuous and you dont load a different card with different numbering it will increment +1 until you get to 9999
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks again, John - I suspect I will have to load a new card.

Would I be best advised, when I do fill this card up, to upload all images to my laptop and continue with it (after formattng it (again))?

Or to put in a new card and repeat the procedd which you so kindly just advised?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You can downliad from the card you have and reformat or install a new card and format. You just don’t want to install a card with an out of sequence file name or it will pick up that number and start incrementing.

The camera will “remember “ the last number it used until you feed it a new number, like you just did.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

So whatever card I put in - provided it has no images on it - will let the camera's act of "remembering" always take precedence?

And, really, if there is ever a "badly"-numbered file on it, I only have to repeat what you just advised?

Pretty good, I;d say. Thanks so much again!

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Announcements