cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70d - movie recording has been stopped automatically

LmharrisonTX
Apprentice

I just purchased a new Canon 70D...once I start recording, it records for a few seconds...small boxes appear on the upper right side of the display screen and then it shuts down and says "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"...is this due to a setting or something? I have been using a 7D for a number of years and this is a new issue for me...

54 REPLIES 54

racanon
Apprentice

I've had a new 70D for about 2 weeks now. Been playing with all sorts of things. I too have a 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC I. I've shot all sorts of test video and have had no problems until the last couple of days, during which I began testing a specialized slider rig for vertical shooting. The issue only seems to occur for me at higher ISO, such as 1600, regardless of what I'm doing. I at first thought it was due to the stabilzer in the lens, due to vibrations or noise caused by the motion of the vertical sliding mechanism, but it occurred even during motionless shooting. I dropped the ISO down to 1000 and experienced no further issues.

I also tested a second similar SD card purchased from a different vendor than the one that came with my 70D, and the result was the same. I think that the noise of the higher ISO (despite the image being pretty noise-free) contributed to "extra data requirements".

Unless someone is suggesting that there's a mass issue with these San Disk Ultra SDHC I cards, I think we have to chalk it up to the requirements of a 20.2 megapixel sensor, combined with high-speed recordings (i'm shooting 1920, 30 FPS, ALL-I, AWB [which I will turn off for real shooting]). Probably one of Sandisk's faster cards is in order, such as the Extreme or Extreme Pro.

I had the same issue. With my t2i the ultra 32g card was sometimes ok but would stop when I didn't want it to. I bought the 70d and it would not work at all with the ultra cards for video. I ended up buying some 32gb extreme cards and haven't had one problem since. I have recorded hours of video with no dropped videos with the extreme card. I am actually going to buy some extreme pro cards just because of the ability to shoot faster stills in raw. But for the video, the extreme card will solve your problems. At least it did for me.

8dzaweek
Apprentice

I took my 70D back to the dealer, and they seemed to know something???, they looked at the camera and checked the serial # and DID NOT LOOK at the sd card, they simply gave me a new camera body. i've dealt with this camera store for more than 30 years, and they know me. I ask about the class of the card, and one rep told me it was more of an issue that just the card.

I had to have a class 8 or higher card and settings lower than i wanted to shoot video, but it worked out of the box on the new camera body ( which they tested at the store) so i can only guess that there is a firmware issue, or a tenical issue with dodies with certian serial numbers, since that is what they checked first.

Interesting. I'm not sure what that's about, and if there is such an issue, I think Canon would be hard-pressed to admit to it ontheir newest super-creation.

Personall, I record at 24 or 30 FPS in "All-I" low compression mode (I edit in Final Cut Pro, so I prefer to have as many "unique" individual frames as possible). This setup produces pretty large files, and your card has got to be able to handle all of that I/O pretty quickly.

After my last post a while back, I started experienceing the issue again, regardless of ISO. So I went and got a couple of San Disk Extreme Pro Class 10 95 MB/s SDHC cards, which would help determine once and for all that it was not a camera issue; I've had no further issues since I began using these cards.

UPDATE.......today i got a call from CANON, it seems that everyone is wrong in theri post about this problem, Canon will answer any calls to them, but will not admit anything a rep said. HERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE VIDEO AUTOMATICALLY STOPPING:

REP SAID...........IT IS DESIGNED TO STOP AFTER 4GB (INTERNATIONAL TRADE LAW ) SEPERATING CAMERA FROM CAMCORDERS. ANYTHING THAT RECORDS MORER THAN 59;59 (59 MINUTES AND 59 SECONDS VIOLATES THE TRADE LAW UNLESS THE COMPANY SAYS ITS A CAMCORDER.

Canon make the cameras top notch, but cannot go more than 59 min. or it violate the law. So i was told to get a remote and after the 1st hour, just push the record button again, as many times as i wanted in 1 hour segments providing i had the SD card that would store what i wanted.  The SD card itself has nothing to do with the stopping, but the card must be able to record depending on the cameras specs. A class 10 is better for video, and the U series is even better on new models.

So after checking a few other brands, NIKON etc, i got the same story, international trade laws.  ......go figure, why not just say it.

That's an intersting reasoning, but here's reality: I also use a 7D for shooting video, and it's never suffered from this malady. The 7D is NOT classified or sold as a "camcorder". The cards I've used for shooting videos with the 7D are only 8GB San Disk Extreme, 60 MB/s cards.

Most peole that had issues on this forum, seemed to have had them when shooting with the San Disk Ultra cards that came in various kits for the 70D. Extreme and Extreme Pro cards seem to work just fine. I can't talk about other brands of cards, because I haven't used any other brands.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that I can shoot 10 seconds of video with a San Disk Ultra 32 GB card at the same setings (and I have done so already), and the 70D stops recording. I have since shot over 2 minutes straight of video--both stationary, and mobile--with the Extreme Pro cards (16 GB), and the camera doesn't stop recording.

The evidence is there that the speed of the card IS important, and no international trade laws come into play in hobbling the effective use of these cameras.

This may be right but in my case the video stops after 25 seconds of recording. My SD card seems fine and is hardly full. (I am a beginner so I do need help starting off) your information was quite helpfull thank you.

UPDATE - Still no problem with my Samsung card. Buy the same one I said on my post. At least it is working VERY WELL with my Canon 70D.

geffo
Contributor

Found this thread when researching a similar problem. First shoot with the 70D was a friend's wedding last month. First time I hit record it stopped after about 2 seconds and told me that recording had been stopped automatically. I got really paranoid but hit record again and it went smoothly for over an hour (creating smaller mini files) without a problem.

Maybe once or twice since then I've had that issue. Always the first time I hit record on a shoot. Never again the same day. Just thought it was a weird bug with the camera.

I am using the Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 card, so it should be up to spec. We record in the ALL-I format at 24p.

Cut to tonight, filming a christmas concert with a buddy and his 5Dmk3.  I have two of the Sony cards, identical, and we use one in his MK3 for a static wide shot since the MK3 can record seamlessly for over 30 minutes.  He hit record on it and left it be while we manned two other cameras, the 70D being one of them. The first record for the 70D only shot for 5 seconds, and turns out the 5Dmk3 did too - with the same SD card. Halfway through we checked on the static MK3 and thought it had overheated and hit record again, until I looked at the footage and saw that it only gave us 5 seconds as well. All of the footage recorded after that was just fine.

My conclusion is that it is something with the SD cards not "speeding up" right away. Or something to that effect. After the initial stop, it does just fine. But it was interesting to see this happen in the 5Dmk3 as well.

I picked up a 70D shortly after release.

I have gotten this message twice now.  It seems to stop after about 30 minutes each time. I am using a Sandisk Extreme 32GB 80MB/s U1 Class 10 card.  This is extremely frustrating, as I have missed pieces of the Chirch Choir concert each time.

This card seems to be listed as the solution to this problem, but it is still occurring for me with this card.  What now?

-Drew

Announcements