cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70d - movie recording has been stopped automatically

LmharrisonTX
Apprentice

I just purchased a new Canon 70D...once I start recording, it records for a few seconds...small boxes appear on the upper right side of the display screen and then it shuts down and says "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"...is this due to a setting or something? I have been using a 7D for a number of years and this is a new issue for me...

54 REPLIES 54

I have been using the Canon 70D for a year with no problem, then suddenly this automatic movie stop began after 15 seconds.  I have a SanDisk 64 GB card.  It does 30MB/s.  I have just ordered a new card that has a much higher record rate.  I am wondering why this card worked fine before, but doesn't now.  I tried reformatting it but I still get the error.  Can a card go bad?

I bought a new memory (Samsung 64GB PRO SDXC up to 90MB/s class 10). It's working very well and I have no more problem. My problem is gone!!!! Finally!!!!! Buy a new memory!!! Try the same that I bought on Amazon. It's about $50.

That is good to know. I had to go to the SanDisk 64gb SDXC card at 90MB/s to get reliable performance but that costs about twice what you are talking about. Please let us know if you ever get any hiccups from the Samsung card.

SINCE I BOUGHT THE SAMSUNG CARD I HAD NO PROBLEM AT ALL!!! Believe me, it's an excellent card!!!

The only card which has worked RELIABLY for me has been the SanDisk 64gb SDXC rated at 90MB/sec. They are knid of expensive, but they made my problem go away completely & forever.

DANNY, I NOW HAVE 2 PROBLEMS

WHILE TESTING THE "AUTOMATIC RECORDING STOPPING" 

I WAS RECORDING A LIVE CHURCH SERVICE TO TEST A DIFFERENT QUALITY SETTING TO SEE IF THE CARD WOULD RECORD LONGER USING MEDIUM OR SMALL SETTINGS....  I CHANGE THE SETTING TO THE SECOND TO THE LAST RESULTION AND THE RECORDING STOPPED AFTER A WHILE OF RECORDING. THEN I CHANGED THE RESULTION TO THE LOWEST SETTING AND WHILE RECORDING VIDEO IT SEEMED TO TAKE LONGER TO STOP RECORDING.

THE NEXT DAY TO CHECK MY FINDINGS, I WENT TO TURN ON MY CAMERA AND IT WOULD NOT POWER ON WITH BOTH THE A/C ADAPTER AND WITH 2 DIFFERENT BATTERIES..... SO NOW I CANT EVEN USE MY CAMERA AT ALL... I PURCHASED IT IN 2013 FROM B&H  PHOTO AND IM NOT SURE IF IM STILL UNDER CANONS WARRANTY OR NOT...

SO I CAN TEST THE VIDEO BY USING ANOTHER CARD READER BUT THATS THE LEAST OF MY PROBLEMS... I CANT GET THE CAMERA ON!!!!!

BUT THE CARD IS AN SANDISK ULTRA PLUS 64GB / 48MB

MY EYES EVEN WITH GLASSES ARE BAD, I CAN BARELY READ THE ICONS ON THE CARD BUT I SEE A 1 WITH A U, XC1, IT HAS A 10 WITH A C...

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE IDENTICAL IMAGE

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDM3OA==/z/XpMAAOSwQJhUlW0A/$_35.JPG

HERE IS MY ISSUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYlNyZ1IP3s

Try this card. I had the same problem before. After I bought this card my problem was gone!!!!! I have the canon 70D too.
Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-64GB-Class-MB-SG64D-AM/dp/B00IVPU6BY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437632569...

I got myone fixed by watching and implementing the instructions provided in this video: 

[video]

Yep! This solution worked for me. Changed chips and no more shutdown!

theherrieds
Contributor

My friend got this camera from Costco two weeks ago and got a free 32GB SD card. He had the same problem as you. I also have the 70D camera, but different cards and also the same card but not from Costco.

He tried my 32GB card in his. It was the identical card. His camera then worked. I tried his card in my camera and it did what yours is doing by stopping after about 15 seconds. We even tried an 8GB non-fast card and his camera worked.

Conclusion: Bad card.

One thing to also notice. When your card is in the camera and your are videotaping is the red light on the right rear of the camera blinking or is it on the whole time. It should only be blnking and showing the buffier is being written to.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Announcements