cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70d is producing shots with prominent white streaks! Cleaned everything. Sensor issue!? Thoughts?

LookingGlassGir
Contributor
My 70d suddenly started taking shots with a PROMINENT white streak! The smaller the aperture the more prominent it is...this led me to believe it may be a dust issue ( although I have never seen dust accumulate this way) so I thoroughly cleaned everything. It didn't seem to help. Any thoughts? It seems as though it might be a sensor issue...which I would hate to replace!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Looks like a shutter problem.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

It was a sticky shutter blade. Camera was still under warranty, so it was a free fix. 

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Thanks....think so too. 😞 Taking it in to a repair shop this week.

"I see this is a common thing with Canons."

Believe it happens to any device that has a shutter.  It is not a Canon specific issue.

"I've never had an issue with Canons before this."

Any device made by the hand of man, can and will fail, eventually. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon shop replaced my 70D shutter 3 years ago and the camera is still going strong. I use it almost every day. 

Repair solved the issue. 

It will cost $400 to repair.  Not sure worth it.  Now debating on buying a new body instead of repairing.  😞

Check the Canon refurbs on the Canon eStore

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes - that's a jammed shutter blade.  That... and the mirror... are one of the only moving parts in the camera.  Canon estimates the shutter life to be about 100,000 actuations (clearly many people get much more).  

You can get an idea for how this works in this slow-motion video (although this is a 7D... the shutter mechanism works the same way for your 70D).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements