cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D with manual focus lens

jhpen1
Apprentice

Hello all,

I just joined the forum because I'm stumped for an answer to this question.  I've searched the internet and the manual,  and I've been through  every menu item on my camera.  I've had no luck and considerable frustration.

I want to mount a manual focus lens (not a Canon lens) with an adapter.  I have both.  When mounted, the screen and VF black out; the shutter won't release.  I've read that the f/stop will read 00 on the top panel, and that does happen.  I know there has to be a menu option to make the camera think that no lens is mounted or to tell it to operate with no lens.  I can't find it.

I apologize if this question has been answered, but I couldn't find it with the search function.  I'd appreciate help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

1.Put the camera in manual mode M on the main dial, set shutter speed to 1/125, aperture setting doesn't matter.

2.Turn off Live view

3.With no adaptor or lens fitted you should be able to see light through the viewfinder and release the shutter.

4.Fit the adaptor to the camera and try again, if things don't work as before then you have a faulty adaptor.

5.If it works ok then fit the adapator and the lens

6.Look through viewfinder and try the shutter again, if things don't work then you have a problem with the lens.

From your description of the vf blacking out it sounds like the lens could be stopping the mirror from operating, if that is the case then the lens cannot be used.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ray-uk
Whiz

1.Put the camera in manual mode M on the main dial, set shutter speed to 1/125, aperture setting doesn't matter.

2.Turn off Live view

3.With no adaptor or lens fitted you should be able to see light through the viewfinder and release the shutter.

4.Fit the adaptor to the camera and try again, if things don't work as before then you have a faulty adaptor.

5.If it works ok then fit the adapator and the lens

6.Look through viewfinder and try the shutter again, if things don't work then you have a problem with the lens.

From your description of the vf blacking out it sounds like the lens could be stopping the mirror from operating, if that is the case then the lens cannot be used.

Thanks, Ray-uk; that works!  I'm very relived to have this problem solved.  I appreciate it.

I've had some time to shoot with the 70D and the manual focus lens.  It doesn't seem to be a good match.  Without the rear screen, which remains blacked out, magnifying the image to get good focus is impossible. 

I had another odd problem.  All my shots show up when I hit the playback button on the camera, but when I plug the card into my card reader, there are no files in the DCIM folder.

Announcements