cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D shutter speed problem.

OBCPhoto
Apprentice

On my 70D the main dial suddenly does not adjust the shutter speed.  In all advanced modes the mail dial only adjusts the focus area.  I did a default reset and the problem remains.

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

It should only do that when you've pressed the checkerboard-looking button that signifies AF point selection mode.  You are not accidentally pressing that button, right?

Does it do this in Av mode too (instead of adjusting the f/stop)?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you for responding.  I think I pushed that button by mistake then immediately wanted to change the shutter speed.  It didnt occur to me it would be as simple as pushing that button again.  It's all good now.  Thanks again.

Actually, it started again with the same problem and yes, in Av mode, rotating the main dial just scrolls through AF choices.  I did discover that if live view is activated then the main wheel changes the shutter speed if in Tv mode and aperture in Av mode.  Could this be a software glitch that I can resolve with a download?  Thanks.

I have no advice, but I'm having a similar problem on my 60D. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@OBCPhoto wrote:

On my 70D the main dial suddenly does not adjust the shutter speed.  In all advanced modes the mail dial only adjusts the focus area.  I did a default reset and the problem remains.

There are two places to reset the camera to defaults. One for most of the menu setting, the other for resetting Custom Functions. Be sure you reset the Custom Functions.

hailingsummer
Apprentice

My 70d just started doing this as well. Did you ever find a solution? I have reset all camera settings and custom function settings and no change. I've removed the battery and reinstalled. The main dial works correctly when the camera is in LIVE VIEW mode, but not in viewfinder mode. It is so annoying!

For me, it was a simple fix eventually. The Lock lever had been accidentally pushed and it did exactly what it is supposed to do.  Everything went back to normal when I unlocked the camera.

Sadly that doesn't fix it for me since the Lock lever is not on. Anyone else? Not finding much on the internet 😞

Announcements