cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D remote access via the internet

davekstl
Contributor

Using the Canon Android app or some other utility, can I access the EOS 70D remotely? The camera is setup on my home wifi network. I want to be able to use the Camera Connect App or a similar one to take pictures and\or view pictures remotel, from outside the home network (the interent). Can this be done?

12 REPLIES 12

I know I can hit the Router from the internet, and yes like a ot of things, security could be comprimised. It would be something the would be on and off as needed.

I know I can VPN throught the router and assign a static IP. What you are suggesting, would I hit if like a storgae device and browse results? Did you control the functions of the camera in your example?

Thanks

@davekstl wrote:

I know I can hit the Router from the internet, and yes like a ot of things, security could be comprimised. It would be something the would be on and off as needed.

I know I can VPN throught the router and assign a static IP. What you are suggesting, would I hit if like a storgae device and browse results? Did you control the functions of the camera in your example?

Thanks

If you're starting from a Windows computer and can see the internal IP addresses of the devices on the remote network, you should be able to access those devices directly. Unless the remote network's firewall blocks some needed functionality, those devices will have no way of knowing that you're coming in remotely. However, if you're talking to a camera remotely, the transmission time of your commands from EOS Utility, and of the camera's responses, could be a problem. The obvious way to address that is to use Remote Desktop to log into a computer running EOSU on the remote network and use it to control the camera. The overall lag time could still be an issue, but at least the camera wouldn't see itself as being kept waiting.

My example didn't involve a camera. I was merely pointing out that it is possible to access a computer on a remote network from outside if you set things up correctly.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks again...I will throw a replay as I naviagte throught this. You have given me some possible soltuions.

Dave

Announcements