cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D remote access via the internet

davekstl
Contributor

Using the Canon Android app or some other utility, can I access the EOS 70D remotely? The camera is setup on my home wifi network. I want to be able to use the Camera Connect App or a similar one to take pictures and\or view pictures remotel, from outside the home network (the interent). Can this be done?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No.  The World Wide Web requires a server, not a client.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just curious. By using Port Forward on the home network router, is this possible?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can use the EOS Utility and then use Remote Desktop to control it. Bit of a kluge, though.

Good idea, I had not thought of that. It is probably awkward and slow, but for what i am trying it may work.

@davekstl wrote:

Good idea, I had not thought of that. It is probably awkward and slow, but for what i am trying it may work.

The last time I checked, Windows' Remote Desktop does not work across the internet.  Something about subnet masks, and such.

Not to mention security holes, there may be a third party option, though.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@davekstl wrote:

The last time I checked, Windows' Remote Desktop does not work across the internet.  Something about subnet masks, and such.

I've done it hundreds of times from home to machines at work. To Barkley's point: it was, of course, done through a VPN.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@davekstl wrote:

I've done it hundreds of times from home to machines at work. To Barkley's point: it was, of course, done through a VLAN.

Didn't you have to log in to a domain?

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@davekstl wrote:

I've done it hundreds of times from home to machines at work. To Barkley's point: it was, of course, done through a VPN.

Didn't you have to log in to a domain?

No, I don't think so. I guess I always did use my domain account, but I think I could have used a local account on any machine that had one. Since I was a system administrator, I sometimes logged into domain controllers, and on those I of course had to use a domain account. Usually I was logging into one of my PCs, and sometimes I logged into a server remotely from there.

I think I see what you're driving at, though. I did have to obtain an internal IP address and go through another NAT process (in addition to the one that got me out from home), and I had to be able to locate the remote machine by name. But the VPN and the internal domain name server took care of that. I have a name server and a DHCP server on my home network, so coming in from outside would be no big deal. I'd have to set up some sort of VPN through my cable modem, which wouldn't be trivial but should be doable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements