cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D question

newshooter
Contributor

This is probably going to be a really dumb question, but I am going to ask anyway.  I just bought my first dslr camera, the 70d, and it's all a bit overwhelming for a newbie.  I intend on buying one of the DVD sets that explains the cameras features but in the meantime, the one thing I haven't been able to find in the manual or by clicking through the cameras menu is this, and it's my dumb question;

I will use this camera for wildlife photography and while watching the numerous camera review videos before I made my purchase I heard where they kept talking about how this camera has a crop sensor of 1.6x and by using this feature it would turn a 255mm lens into a 408mm lens?  Ok, so is this a feature you turn off and on or is this camera just always using this crop sensor?  And I think crop sensor was the correct term?

Dee

previous camera - Nikon CoolPix

new camera - Canon 70D

new to the dslr world, have a lot to learn
51 REPLIES 51

I gotta start taking notes, with all you guys are teaching me.  Mind boggling at times.

I just took this pic out my office window with the Sigma lens.  My co-workers were handling this wreck on the freeway, probably at 300 + yards?  Traffic passing by at 50+/- mph, no tripod, just holding the camera as best I could, and shooting through 2" thick bullet proof glass.

Dee

new camera - Canon 70D

I went through last nights pics and found this one of the moon with the looney 11 rule.  I think I have some at 400 also?

This one is 100, f11, 100

moon3.jpg

Dee

new camera - Canon 70D

1.jpg

Just a few minor tweaks in PS. What do you think?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I shot the moon last night to with the settings suggested above.  I came out with about the same result as the last moon photo in this thread.  I wish there was a way to get a even sharper picture, perhaps that is just not possible.  We had 90 percent humidity last night and I could see the moisture in the air sao I am sure that did not help the situation any.  

John  

Looks better.  That's what I was hoping one of you guys would do, take my raw photo and tweak it like you know how to.  Smiley Wink

I know I am getting the most out of my current equipment.  Now it's up to me to use it correctly and learn as much as I can before I can upgrade on glass. 

Reminds me of what the great Chuck Yeager once said about fighter planes, "It's not always the plane, but the man flying it" or words to that affect.

In the right hands, my camera and lens can take some really good pictures, in the wrong hands, it's a crapshoot.  Point and shoot....or in my vanicular, 'pray & spray'  Smiley LOL

Dee

new camera - Canon 70D

While waiting on the deer, which didn't come within 400 yards until it was too dark to shoot, this little gal was sitting on my kids swing set about 30 feet away singing to me.  The sun was setting behind her, so she is pretty much in the dark, but I thought, what the heck, take a picture of her.

Cropped her down, played with the settings in PS6, and wa-lah, a pretty bird appeared.  I know you guys could probably have cleaned it up even more and maybe sharpened it too, but I'm pleased with my end result.

Dee

new camera - Canon 70D

Loving the 70D.  Not that I would be able to compare it to any other DSLR, but I am very happy with it so far. Both of these had some PS work done to them.  Hopefully I did them justice?Used the SIgma lens.

Took this one of my old dog this afternoon, she's 12 now.

Moon shot...still not crisp as the Canon lens, even though the Sigma has more range.  Proof of what you guys keep saying about having quality glass.

Dee

new camera - Canon 70D

Just got back from 4 days at the ranch and guiding another hunter.  As luck would have it, I was able to put him on a deer in the exact same location as a hunter back in December.  I posted that pic in the beginning of this post, showing what I was currently getting from my Nilon Coolpix and that I hoped to improve with my new 70D. 
These deer were photographed from the same blind, they were standing practically in the same exact spot (90 yards), the time of day was nearly the same, the weather conditions and lighting were pretty much the same, so this is a great comparision.  I know the Coolpix is not in the same category as the 70D, so obviously the pictures should be greaty improved.  This is merely to confirm why I wanted to upgrade from what I had be using, so these types of shots would not be so difficult to obtain.The wind was gusting to 40mph, the temp was around 35 degrees, and it was starting to drizzle rain that soon started to freeze.  Not the best of shooting conditions, but I am very pleased with the results.  I am not sure if I had the camera setup up as correctly as I could have had it, but I'm still happy with the pics.  Thanks to those of you that have been guiding me on how to use the camera,.

From last December, with the Nikon Coolpix

And with the 70D

Dee

new camera - Canon 70D

Nice picture and I bet it looks even better at the original resolution.  Nice rack on that buck.  It would look nice with my other racks.  

The student has graduated!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements