cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D - partial power up

Nestor
Apprentice

Hi everyone.  My 70D is not fully powering up.  The top display turns on and operates, the autofocus and viewfinder display also work but the LCD doesn't turn on and it doesn't take pictures when the shutter is fully pressed.  Has anyone experienced this issue and can you share how it was solved?

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nestor wrote:

Hi everyone.  My 70D is not fully powering up.  The top display turns on and operates, the autofocus and viewfinder display also work but the LCD doesn't turn on and it doesn't take pictures when the shutter is fully pressed.  Has anyone experienced this issue and can you share how it was solved?

Contact Canon Service and Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In additionn...  Canon finally came clean on the 70D PCB failures...  so if you are experiencing or about to experience a problem caused by a "defect" which is what this was..  you might have coverage avaialble to you.  Contact Canon like Wadizzle states.

Read More Here

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tim
Authority

Hello Nestor, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you all for the replies.  I tried cleaning the lens contacts on both the body and the lens but it did not help.

I have 2 other Canon bodies (5D and T3) and can confirm the lenses are working properly.  

I will send it over to Canon for service.  

" I tried cleaning the lens contacts on both the body and the lens but it did not help."

It never does or rarely anyway!  I have been in cameras for five decades and I bet I have not seen this work twice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I will send it over to Canon for service."

Good idea, this is where it belongs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think you should take it to the service center. Don't play with it 🙂 I love my talking tom with unlimited money

Yes, take it to Service Center. And they will fix it. like [Removed link per Forum Guidelines]

tunitech
Apprentice

I am enjoying my own and don't have any issue with it. 

(Removed link as per Forum Guidelines)

Announcements