cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D no longer recognizes cards.

GovtLawyer
Contributor

I was about to go out with my camera and was checking the card and battery to see if I wanted to change either.  Looking in the camera I saw that the card was half filled and needed changing.  The battery was in the same state.  I do not remember in what order I did this, but I changed both the card and the battery.  I never open up the card door or take out a card while the camera is on.  Now, my camera says there is no card in the camera.  I put back the old card and iot says the same thing.  It simply does not recognize any card.  

It does not recognize any card.  I put both cards directly into my Mac and all of the images are still there.  So, it does not seem to be a problem with the card.  It seems as if the camera just stopped recognizing any card.  I have exchanged each card and battery in the camera and get the same results.

Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12

Peter
Authority
Authority

http://camerarepair.blogspot.se/2009/07/simple-fix-for-memory-card-locked-error.html

Have you taken a look inside the card slot?

The issue seems common on the 60D. Did you remove the card before the read lamp was turned off?

Tim
Authority

Hello GovtLawyer, 

Your EOS 70D should be sent into the Canon Service Center for evaluation.  We would need to see the camera on hand in order to determine the correct cause of this issue.  You can click the link below to set up service online. 

EOS 70D Service and Support. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The problem has been fixed; although, I still do not understand what happened.

After research on the web, the only thing I could figure was that perhaps it was the card's write protection.  Both cards were not protected.  I put the protection on, and the camera recognized it and informed me the write protect was on.  I clicked it off and after reinserting the card it was now recognized.  I think I had to go back and forth a few times before both cards were once again recognized.

It wrote the several pictures I took to the card and I could play it back.

Do you still think I should get it checked out?

This makes me wonder if you didn't have debris stuck in the card slot and after enough inserts and removals it was eventually pushed out of the way.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:
This makes me wonder if you didn't have debris stuck in the card slot and after enough inserts and removals it was eventually pushed out of the way.

I think it was much more likely a software issue. Somehow the camera got confused about what state it was in. Unless you have further problems, I don't think you have to send the camera in.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I would trash both of those SD cards and buy a new high quality card.  You also have to get one from a good retailer.  Not off a web site that has a big sale on them.  They are counterfiets!  Junk. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Both cards were Sandisk Extremes, one an Extreme Pro.  Bought from B&H when I got the camera.  I don't think it was the cards, particularly since it happened to both at the same time and both worked again.

Not sure how debris could have gotten in the slot.  I did try blowing into the slot.  Don't know if that helped at the time.

"Not sure how debris could have gotten in the slot."

It wasn't debris in the slot.  SD cards are very forgiving.  Not like the older CF cards.

"I did try blowing into the slot."

Don't do that!  Smiley Frustrated  Unless it is dry air from a source designed to do that.  Like 'Blow Off' for instance or a 'Rocket Blower'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Blade
Apprentice

Same here in my Canon 70D. It is completely random in mine, it doesn't matter which card. I've read all the posts and it seems like it's the card reader. I turn off and on, replace and replace the card, and sometimes it will work, but most times it doesn't, completely random. I've disabled shutter release and enabled. Tried protecting card but when I tried I couldn't do it because "no card in camera". This has KILLED me at shoots.Any new updates? Because this is completely about the SD card slot so far. Nothing to do with cards,

Announcements