cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D light leak issue

tylingo23
Contributor

Hi- I have a 70D and was out shooting a basketball game, when out of nowhere a big streak of light started showing up in every frame. I was wondering if anyone had a similiar situation and knows a solution?
ThanksIMG_5647.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes, shutter.  Smiley Sad  It is even shapped like a shutter blade.  Did you touch it?  Did you try some self cleaning? Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Thank you for that.  I will call them tomorrow 🙂

Dora
Apprentice
I had the exact thing happen to me last week! Was taking lots of shots, then the streak suddenly appeared! My camera is almost two years old.

@Dora wrote:
I had the exact thing happen to me last week! Was taking lots of shots, then the streak suddenly appeared! My camera is almost two years old.

Earlier examples mentioned in this thread apparently turned out to be shutter failure, not a light leak. That makes perfect sense, of course; a light leak would usually be expected to show up immediately, a broken shutter only after some amount of wear.

Neither problem is a fix-it-yourself matter. If you want to keep using the camera, you should probably consign it to Canon's expensive, but highly regarded, service organization.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I had enough Canon equipment that I was able to enroll in Canon Professional Services, which is about $100 per year.  I sent the camera in for maintenance, and they were able to fix the stuck shutter issue at no extra charge.

It also allows me to send in my other equipment for maintenance, and "borrow" some lenses and bodies to experiment with, at no extra charge other than shipping.

I would hightly recommend trying to enroll.

@shilchey wrote:

I had enough Canon equipment that I was able to enroll in Canon Professional Services, which is about $100 per year.  I sent the camera in for maintenance, and they were able to fix the stuck shutter issue at no extra charge.

It also allows me to send in my other equipment for maintenance, and "borrow" some lenses and bodies to experiment with, at no extra charge other than shipping.

I would hightly recommend trying to enroll.

Been there; done that. I haven't been sorry.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

CPS is fantastic.  I just completed sending in all the stuff I intend on keeping for a C&C.  I think this is my last Gold year.  I just don't shoot all that much anymore.

I doubt you were able to get a Gold membership with just a 70D?  What else do you have?  Smiley Happy

I would encourage all serious amateurs and pros or aspiring pros to join.  Regular Canon service will work for most people.

EB

For those that don't know, to enroll in CPS you have to have a certain number of "points" which are based off of individual pieces of Canon equipment.

I won't pretend to remember what the minimum point levels are for enrollment, but it won't take much searching to find out.

I discovered that camera bodies aren't worth that many points.  What really racks up the count are lenses, and flashes.

Beside the 70d body, I have

70-200 / f4

24-70 /f2.8

50 /f1.4

70-300 /f3.5-5.6

1 580exii

2 430ex

While I was really worried when I entered the 70d on the web page, and I received credit for only a couple of points, I had more than enough points once I added in everything else.

Nice outfit.  Smiley Happy

"I discovered that camera bodies aren't worth that many points."

Hmmm, you must have never entered a new 1D Mk IV or 1Ds Mk III ?  Or as of today a 1Dx?  They are point getters!

EB
Announcements