cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D light leak issue

tylingo23
Contributor

Hi- I have a 70D and was out shooting a basketball game, when out of nowhere a big streak of light started showing up in every frame. I was wondering if anyone had a similiar situation and knows a solution?
ThanksIMG_5647.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes, shutter.  Smiley Sad  It is even shapped like a shutter blade.  Did you touch it?  Did you try some self cleaning? Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Yeah, it cost about $225 to repair. 

I figured it would be about that much. I'm still waiting for a quote. Missing my camera. 

Did you send it to Canon Professional Services, or did you have it repaired at a local shop?  My 70d is 16 months old, and it just cropped up on my camera.  I am investigating whether I should sign up for CPS.

It seems that there are quite a few of these that are cropping up at the same time.

I'm just curious, but how old are the camera's that are experiencing this issue?

I sent it to canon, my camera was about 13 months old when i sent it out, and only had about 65,000 frames on the shutter. 

It's been fixed. Replaced shutter. Little over $300 for fix and clean. Back in business again. 

did you get this repaired? how much did it cost and how long did it take?

@azdew wrote:
I am having the same issue. Same overexposed area, same shape, same location. Changed lens and still happened. It happened on 2/19/15. My shots look exactly like the sample posted above. I dropped it off for repair. Waiting for a quote.

j-p
Contributor

I also have the 70D and have seen several threads like this in the last couple of days. How old is your camera?

TracyDG
Apprentice

My camera just came up with the same issue yesterday morning.  I was shooting fireworks with it on the night of the 3rd and yesterday morning I went to shoot wilflowers and had this alien light in every photo.  I've had my camera for about 18 months and shoot it every single day.  Definitely seems like a 70D Canon flaw.  I have a t1i that I shot as much and never had an issue with it.20150704-IMG_6940.jpg

TracyDG
Apprentice
Me too!!

shilchey
Contributor

I was fortunate enough to have enough equipment to be able to enroll in Canon Professional Services and they were kind enought to repair my 70d without argument or question.  If you are unable to enroll, I would suggest that you call Canon directly to see if they will repair it without charge since this seems to be such a prevalent issue.

Announcements