cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D - lens sensor issue

Bankcraft
Apprentice

I have an EOS 70D that has become somewhat ambivalent about talking to the attached lenses. The camera cannot determine, or assign, the aperture setting. The aperture is displayed as '0'. Spinning the aperture wheel on the camera back accomplishes nothing -- it stays rock-steady at '0'. 

If I swap lenses sometimes the camera will immediately pick up and display the aperture settings and the aperture wheel functions normally. Sometimes the camera is not so successful in linking up with the attached lens. I have found that taking a shot while the aperture displays '0' sometimes jars the camera back to reality and it correctly displays the aperture setting and the wheel becomes functional again.

I initially thought it might be an issue with the lens, but after trying multiple lenses I've noted that the symptom can crop up with any of them. I have attempted to clean the contacts on both the camera and the lenses, but without success.

The problem is intermittent. Sometimes the camera and lens get along just fine. Sometimes they seem to need counseling. 

Thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

WAG here, could the lens mount on the camera be a little loose? That might make the contacts pull away from each other.

Hey, I like the line of thinking there. I took a quick check of both the camera and the lenses and everything appears to be snugged down tight. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

That is the only thing I can think of that does not involve internal surgery on the camera.

@Bankcraft wrote:

Hey, I like the line of thinking there. I took a quick check of both the camera and the lenses and everything appears to be snugged down tight. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Hmm.  The contacts in the camera’s mount should not be “snugged down tight.”  They should be behave like they are spring loaded.  You should be able to press on them until they fully sink into the body, and then spring back out when you release them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bankcraft
Apprentice
I should have clarified my reply. The contacts are working exactly as you described. ‘Spring loaded’ is a good description. I was referring to the lens mount itself being secured to the camera body. Thanks for mentioning the proper functioning of the contacts. Much appreciated.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...after trying multiple lenses I've noted that the symptom can crop up ..."

All Canon lenses?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yep.

You need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements