cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D frozen on "Firmware update program" Update file cannot be found . . .

clicker
Apprentice

My 70D is frozen on the screen that says "Firmware update program  Update file cannot be found.  Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again".  This message still appears when the camera power is turned off - I have to remove the battery, or it just burns up the battery.   There are no updates available for the camera, yet the message persists, even when battery and memory card are removed and reloaded. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Clicker, 

You can download firmware version 1.1.2 for your EOS 70D from Canon's web site, here

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-70d?tab=drivers

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

I think Bob understood your point.  Did you understand the significance of our point?  You need to perform a low level format of the memory card before you use it in the camera.

[EDIT]. How old is the camera, more specifically, the batteries?  If they have seldomly been used, or are more than 3-5 years old, then they could be at the end of their usable life cycle.  I think you have a secondary problem, which is manifesting itself as a card related issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The primary battery is new (came with the camera) which we purchase a year ago. We use the camera at least a few times a week, almost daily around the holidays. It still holds charge fantastic -- never any issues with running low, or errant behaviors with the camera otherwise, except for this one (very annoying -- and unpredictable -- anomaly).

Card was formatted as soon as I purchased it, before the first use.

@mhuang wrote:

The primary battery is new (came with the camera) which we purchase a year ago. We use the camera at least a few times a week, almost daily around the holidays. It still holds charge fantastic -- never any issues with running low, or errant behaviors with the camera otherwise, except for this one (very annoying -- and unpredictable -- anomaly).

Card was formatted as soon as I purchased it, before the first use.

I see.  Does that mean you performed a "low level format"?  Are you using full size memory cards, not the micro-SD cards with an adapter?  Do you plan to reformat the memory card again, as has been suggested?

Yes, performed the low-level format on the card using the camera, not the Quick format in Windows.

Also, I only use full-size memory cards unless the device's form factor (e.g. phone) requires it.

mhuang wrote:

Bob, while I apprecaite your feedback, I think you missed my point.

In my situation, I used a brand new SD card -- purchased with the sole purpose of being used in this camera. It has never been in another camera, and in no way did I put a firmware file on it until I was forced to. (I know this because I hadn't downloaded one for this camera until yesterday.)

That said, the card has been in there in the camera for the past year when *poof* it decided to brick me.

Placing a *.FIR firmware file triggers the camera to pick up the update, which it does. Problem rectified for now.

The root problem I am unhappy with is that the camera should not randomly lock up (such as in the middle of a photo shoot) into a firmware update mode out of the box, with a new/dedicated flash card.

It is a completely different issue if an owner knowingly updates the flash on their own, or decides to play games with the firmware/configuration, etc. For this particular camera, I had no intention of doing either. I would have been perfectly happy using the firmware that the camera came with from the factory until it forced itself upon me at an inopportune time.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but you seem to be missing an even more important one: A firmware update does not need to be applied more than once. If the update has managed to install itself properly (or even if it hasn't), you should delete it from the card, so that it can't cause any further trouble. And it wouldn't be causing trouble anyway if the card weren't formatted to be a "bootable" card, i.e., one that looks for an executable image on the card and executes it, bypassing (in this case) the normal behavior of the firmware already in the camera. How it got formatted that way, I have no idea. (Well, I could venture some guesses, but they'd be irrelevant to the solution.) But the point is that you have to either remove the firmware file from the card or do a low-level format of the card. The latter is preferable, because that should prevent a similar problem the next time you want to do a firmware update. If the reformat of the card stops the camera from working, it probably means that the first try to update the firmware didn't complete successfully, in which case you'll probably have to send it to Canon for repair.

The one case where you might actually want the behavior you're seeing is you're using a program such as Magic Lantern, which fully or partially (but temporarily) substitutes itself for the camera's firmware. If that's the case, then the problem is probably that you're not using the correct version for the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I completely agree with you that it only needs to be applied once. That said, I'm annoyed that it had to be applied AT ALL.

From a consumer perspective, there's absolutely no reason I should have had to Google to find a community to figure out how to unbrick a new, unaltered camera using OEM hardware in the first place.

@kcalpesh wrote:

Hi Bob, I tried 3 different cards. One fresh, brand new and 2 of them low level formatted. That didn't resolve the issue. I don't feel like the issue was with the cards. My best guess is that the issue is with the firmware. Something is triggering the firmware update automatically.

Like I mentioned the last time it happened was just 4 days back and in the middle of the shoot I got the firmware update screen.  However, the camera didn't freeze this time becuase it found the firmware update file in the memory card.

I have placed this firmware update file on all the memory cards that I use now. Saves me from letting the camera freeze. 

Canon advises erasing the firmware file from the card by performing a low level format.  It doesn't hurt to have a spare card with the firmware file for an emergency.  But, I am pretty sure that you do not want it on the card that you are shooting with.  
You could have a bad circuit board in your camera, causing it to reboot.  Bad batteries could cause a false power cycle, too.

The only time the camera is supposed to look for the firmware file, is when the camera "powers up" and interrogates the memory card.  If it finds a firmware file, then the camera dutifully wants to load it.  But, even then, you are given the option to cancel or continue with installing the firmware file it found.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kcalpesh wrote:

Hi Bob, I tried 3 different cards. One fresh, brand new and 2 of them low level formatted. That didn't resolve the issue. I don't feel like the issue was with the cards. My best guess is that the issue is with the firmware. Something is triggering the firmware update automatically.

Like I mentioned the last time it happened was just 4 days back and in the middle of the shoot I got the firmware update screen.  However, the camera didn't freeze this time becuase it found the firmware update file in the memory card.

I have placed this firmware update file on all the memory cards that I use now. Saves me from letting the camera freeze. 

Canon advises erasing the firmware file from the card by performing a low level format.  It doesn't hurt to have a spare card with the firmware file for an emergency.  But, I am pretty sure that you do not want it on the card that you are shooting with.  
You could have a bad circuit board in your camera, causing it to reboot.  Bad batteries could cause a false power cycle, too.

The only time the camera is supposed to look for the firmware file, is when the camera "powers up" and interrogates the memory card.  If it finds a firmware file, then the camera dutifully wants to load it.  But, even then, you are given the option to cancel or continue with installing the firmware file it found.

I've never seen behavior remotely like that. If I have a firmware update on the card, it gets ignored unless I go to the appropriate menu item and tell it to update. It then provides all the usual warnings about using a fresh battery, touching no buttons, etc.

You're not using Magic Lantern, are you? I believe ML uses cards that are specially formatted to look for an executable file.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kcalpesh wrote:

I've never seen behavior remotely like that. If I have a firmware update on the card, it gets ignored unless I go to the appropriate menu item and tell it to update. It then provides all the usual warnings about using a fresh battery, touching no buttons, etc.

You're not using Magic Lantern, are you? I believe ML uses cards that are specially formatted to look for an executable file.

I updated my T5 with the card one time.  When I powered up, it immediately went into firmware update mode.  Maybe I am just describing it wrong.  But, like I said, you should still get a prompt screen asking you to continue or cancel.

lly3988
Rising Star

Hard reset of the 70D seems impossible because the button battery is built in. Remove the main battery and put it back after a few days. Or try rotate the mode dial to see if you can go back to where you can open the menu.

If you have access to the menu, go to Clear all camera settings and click ok. See if it works.

Try format the card in your PC if you cannot boot the camera or try another formatted SD card.

If none of the above works, call Canon.

Announcements