cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D focus issues

bja5150
Contributor

I am having some focus issues with my Canon 70D. I noticed it a while back, did some research and discovered that center point focus issue. Mine was still under warranty so I sent it in to confirm it. Canon said it was fine and sent it back. After I got it back, I still wasn't 100% satisfied. I soon after took it in to get the calibration tested with the lenses I have. A friend referred me to a camera store he trusted and the camera was adjusted. The numbers I was told were off. My 2.8 Sigma was off by like 20 while my L series 70-200 was off by 6. I saw some improvement, but still not as sharp as I felt it should be. I worked with it and then began to get frustrated. I called Pro Photo in Portland and they referred me to their repair location. There one of the workers asked if I had changed the calibration settings and I told him I had another camera store do it. I was just looking for a second opinion in you will. He said the previous store's numbers were off some so I was like come on. I cannot contiinually pay to have someone tweak my numbers and started considering buying my own calibration software and measurement kit. My camera does have some wear and tear around 40,000 shots so not new, but not old either. I am just wondering if the home process is hard to do. I really don't want to buy another camera right now and was hoping to invest more into a better 24-70 type lens. When the focus is good its good. It just seesm to be soft at times even with the points focused on. I know there are factors that can afffect focus user wise, but repair wise I know its not me. I do make my mistakes, but I am worried I got a lemon. Any help would be appreciated. This is one of my 2017 resolutiuons to resolves asap. I want to get back to enjoying what I do and not fighting with my gear, Thanks for reading.

12 REPLIES 12

Macoose
Apprentice

I read your reply to the other 70D focus issue. You state you like to shoot your 2.8 lens wide open.

You may be having problems because the depth-of-field is too shallow at wide open apertures.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

This may not be the issue, but it occurred to me that it could be contributing to your problems.

I hope you work it out.

Macoose

I appreciate everyones input. In truth, I did blame myself. I know there are things that affect the picture sharpness in the end, but I was told the camera was off. So that did make me feel better. My good lens wasn't as bad (like an incriment of 6) as my other Sigma which was like off by 20. The camera and lenses I owned just needed their calibration. There are moments when the focus is good but just seems soft at times...(a little nearsighted/or far sighted). I do the focus on the eyes so to speak and I don't see that sharpmess like I should at times. In truth, I have seen the auto focus do strange things at times too.. I was at a studio class and focused. The teacher even said "what was that?" I just may have a lemon. I will see what the self calibration does for me and continue to work on myself as well to get the results that make me happy. Thanks again for reading and your input

Brent 

"...I was told the camera was off."

That is subjective.  It is one person's opinion.  It is not a fact.  You have to identify the 'real' cause of the problem or you will never solve it.  That is probably why different shops told you different things.  The camera is probably fine.  IMHO, I would set it back to zero correction and look at how you shoot.  I know it feels better to blame the machine.

Everybody that uses a camera gets blurry pictures form time to time.  Even the best high dollar pros shooting the best high dollar gear.  It happens.

The best thing for you to do is check your technique and make changes as needed.  Even using a tripod as somebody suggested does not guarantee a super sharp photo. The variables are many!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements