cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D color cast in viewfinder

j-p
Contributor

I just got back from a big box store where I was comparing the feel of the 70D w/18-135 with a Rebel w/18-55. No filters.

While looking through the viewfinder of the 70D, everything was noticeably tinted - sort of a light serpia. I didn't try LV. The view through the Rebel was neutral. The tint was uniform across the entire view, not spotty or such.

The clerk took a couple of pics and the color looked right on the rear LCD, but through the viewfinder the color was distinct and disturbing.

I know these display cameras take a beating, but I wonder what could be wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Hi j-p!

Thanks for posting.

Compared to the Rebel, the EOS 70D has a different type of viewfinder.  The viewfinder on the Rebel sends light directly over the focusing screen and through the eyepiece.  However, the viewfinder on the EOS 70D uses a transparent LCD.  More information is able to be displayed including the more advanced focusing system.  There will appear to be a slight color difference, mostly a more tinted look, especially when the camera is powered off.  This is not as noticeable when the camera is powered on.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mykolas
Authority

Hi j-p!

Thanks for posting.

Compared to the Rebel, the EOS 70D has a different type of viewfinder.  The viewfinder on the Rebel sends light directly over the focusing screen and through the eyepiece.  However, the viewfinder on the EOS 70D uses a transparent LCD.  More information is able to be displayed including the more advanced focusing system.  There will appear to be a slight color difference, mostly a more tinted look, especially when the camera is powered off.  This is not as noticeable when the camera is powered on.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Mike for your answer.

A few days later I went back and checked again. The difference is real, but not as disturbing as I first noted. I think in my mind, the idea that the color through the viewfinder of the lesser camera was more true - disturbed me more than the slight tint itself.

Anyway, I ordered a kit with 70D and 2 lenses last night before the prices went up today.

Announcements