cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D bounce flash

one
Contributor
Hi,

Recently I upgraded my 650D to the 70D and I noticed that the pictures are a lot darker (underexposed) when bouncing the flash. I have tested this with several other cameras, the 600D, 650D and the 700D using the 430EXII and 580EX all with the 18-135 STM. All but the 70D resulted in acceptable exposure.

Is there a setting I am missing? I used both the [A+] and P setting.
47 REPLIES 47

Hi heresrob.

With the 80D out now, I wonder if Canon has even less incentive to fix the problem (not sure if it's a problem on the 80D). It's a shame. The 70D is otherwise such a great camera.  The FEB button seems to fix the issue, but yes, it's a hastle. Manual mode's not great in changing lighting. I've tried just adding a stop or two exposure on the flash, but that doesn't get consistent results either. Ugh. 

ELN

I guess we're stuck with it until the mirrorless ones become the standard. Hope they've resolved the issue by then. Hope I'm still around by then. 

I just did a wedding video for my grandson and on a whim decided to use the 70D as a fill in for some scenes. It worked great. I know it has a limit of 29 minutes for video and I tried it at home to see how long the battery would last (23 minutes). I knew for just fill in shots it would work. I got really good results.

So, if the only thing is the bounce flash issue. I guess I'll have to work around it. Never had that problem with the old film cameras.

"Never had that problem with the old film cameras."

And, your old film camera didn't do stills plus video either.  So, things change, either you change, too, or you get left behind.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So, things change, either you change, too, or you get left behind.

Which is why canon is so FAR behind everybody else. But I am confused with your [Removed] statement, how does it have ANYTHING to do with a [Removed] camera that canon put out broken and has never cared to fix.? 

The only thing canon has ever had over the other camera companies was its customer service. Now they release broken  [Removed] cameras and you are just stuck with it.  Which is why you see so many used ones for sale while everybody moves to sony. This 5diii will be my last canon ever. 

[Edited comment per forum guidelines.]

"Which is why you see so many used ones for sale ..."

You may see more used Canon's but that is because Canon sells more than anybody else.  If you think Sony or Nikon, etc, are without issues, don't bet the farm on it.  Best way for you to know, however, is go buy one.

The 5D Mk III is world renown for its ability.

EB

"... things change, either you change, too, or you get left behind."

70Downer,

"... how does it have ANYTHING to do with a [Removed] camera that canon put out broken and has never cared to fix.?"

The comment was not directed to you.  You are not the only person replying to this thread.

"Never had that problem with the old film cameras."   This was the comment which was rightly responded to with this comment, "I guess I'll have to work around it."

Pretty good advice, I'd say.  Smiley Wink

EB

Do you even know what this problem is with this pile of junk camera?
Do you know what the work around is?
I am guessing not, you seem to just post in threads you know nothing about.

Best advice for people who bought a new 70D back then was sell it quick and switch to Sony, I wish I would have then.

Instead I foolishly thought Canon would make more great camera's. The 5div and the 6d mkii prove that canon is not even a contender anymore. They just keep rehashing old tech and try to pass it off as an upgrade to minions who thinks the name is the only thing you need.

I didn't want everyone to get upset over this. I was just checking to see if anything was done to correct the issue. But, I guess not. It's an old camera and Canon has moved on to other things. Sad, it's not that old a camera. if it were a car and the steering wheel was falling off at 60mph they would jump on it right away. but, a camera only causes you to lose customers to competing companies.

Announcements