cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D battery problem

SteveMPi
Apprentice

I have had a 70D for about 4 years.  Recently I noticed that the battery was going dead when left overnight, even when turned off.  I tried both my Cannon batteries.  Then purchased a non Cannon battery off of Amazon.  Same result.  Camers seems to work fine while it has a fresh battery.  Any ideas.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Leave the battery outside of the camera overnight and see if it is still dead when inserted into the camera the next morning.  If the battery works that way, then your camera has developed a problem and needs to be repaired.  Either it is not going to sleep when powered off (this problem should provide obvious symptoms) or a bypass cap has gotten very leaky with age and is draining the battery.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Then purchased a non Cannon battery off of Amazon."

Not the best idea you ever had.  Second do you know if your charger is working properly? I would suspect it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Leave the battery outside of the camera overnight and see if it is still dead when inserted into the camera the next morning.  If the battery works that way, then your camera has developed a problem and needs to be repaired.  Either it is not going to sleep when powered off (this problem should provide obvious symptoms) or a bypass cap has gotten very leaky with age and is draining the battery.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements