cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D Using RS-60E3 Remote to Start and Stop Video

pcassidy
Apprentice

I am trying to use the RS-60E3 wired remote to start and stop video recording. The 70D user manual says it will do this if the drive mode is set to one of the two time delay options. Neither works. I always get a still photo. What am I missing?

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

Does that remote allow a 2 second delay?  There would be a little switch for instant and 2 second.  For video it has to be on 2 second delay.

And just as an aside:  if you have a smart phone or tablet you could use that too, via WiFi.

There is no switch on this remote for 2 second delay. I set that drive mode in the camera. I do have an iPhone and the remote app, but the 70D manual says WiFi must be disabled to record movies.

Looks like you're right, well that's short sighted of them.  Sorry I don't shoot video so my knowledge is limited.

Shame about the wired remote not working.  The RC-6 should work fine, and gives you wireless control.  The official Canon version is $20, but there are plenty of third party options for much less.

I didn't get the RC-6 or equivalent because it's Infrared and, as ar as I can tell, only works facing the front of the camera where the sensor is. If the 70D had an infrared sensor on the back that would work fine.

I went and got the Canon RC-6 wireless remote and can confirm it does work as the manual says. You do have to hold it enough in front that the sensor on the camera which is in the hand grip will pick up the control signal. Perhaps some day Canon will include the switch into the RS-60E3 so it can start and stop video as well.

@pcassidy wrote:

I went and got the Canon RC-6 wireless remote and can confirm it does work as the manual says. You do have to hold it enough in front that the sensor on the camera which is in the hand grip will pick up the control signal. Perhaps some day Canon will include the switch into the RS-60E3 so it can start and stop video as well.

Glad you at least got that working for you.  I know it's not as nice as a RF signal that you can use anywhere, but I find them to work quite well so long as I pay attention to where the IR sensor is.  It seems to work from just about anywhere I might be with a corded trigger, and of course, from farther away as well.  I use remote triggers very, very frequently in the type of work I do, and I use my little RC-1 over RF options (that I do have) because I find it works well.

Just note which side of the camera the the IR sensor is on.  Bigger lenses (especially with hoods on) can block the remote from hitting the sensor if you're on the opposide side when standing in front of the camera.  Other than that issue, I find them to be quite reliable. 

Announcements