cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D Is there a way to control audio while recording video?

sesweitzer
Contributor

I have figured out how to control the audio manually prior to entering the video record mode (no thanks to the manual) but can’t figure out how to control it once the camera is recording.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Sesweitzer,

Since the EOS 70D is a digital SLR and not a camcorder, the sound recording options are different than what you might be used to.  Prior to the start of recording, the EOS 70D must be set to manual sound recording before you start the video recording.  This is the way to control audio whilst recording footage.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Tim
Authority

Hello Sesweitzer,

To control the audio manually while recording video the camera would need to be set to the Creative Zone recording modes.  This would be P, Av, Tv or M.  Recording in Auto will give you less options to record through.

If this is an urgent matter and you wish to get in touch with technical support, please Contact Us directly.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I’m not sure we are talking about the same thing. I come from the video side of the business and am used to adjusting my audio WHILE I’m recording. With the 70 D I can figure out how to set the level PRIOR to entering the Record mode but once the camera is Recording, I can’t figure out how to adjust the audio while the red record light is on. Am I missing something obvious?

Hello Sesweitzer,

Since the EOS 70D is a digital SLR and not a camcorder, the sound recording options are different than what you might be used to.  Prior to the start of recording, the EOS 70D must be set to manual sound recording before you start the video recording.  This is the way to control audio whilst recording footage.

I was afraid of that. Setting levels prior to recording is fine as long as levels don’t change during recording. I know there is also the Auto audio mode but that’s like shooting stills in the Auto mode - purely for amateurs. 

Tim, if Canon were to introduce a software update that allowed one of the dials to increase or decrease record level during recording, that would really elevate the 70D's standing as a video device. Is it possible?

I was recording a musician the other day who turned up his amp during a song and was stuck with the manual level I'd set before he started. It's a helpless feeling knowing you've either got to settle for distortion or stop and restart the recording, losing part of the song.

Canon has allowed  both the 5D Mk III and 1Dx to control audio levels while recording video. I suspect it is intentionally absent on the 70D. 

"Magic Lantern" is not yet available for the 70D, but it will alow audio level adjustment while recording video on the 5D Mk II, 60D and other cameras.

Mike Sowsun

Mike, you are probably correct about that function deliberately being left out. So much for customer satisfaction.

@Phil777 wrote:
Mike, you are probably correct about that function deliberately being left out. So much for customer satisfaction.

Magic lantern is now available for the 70D. It will unlock many features for you. 

[Link removed per forum guidelines]

Magic Lantern on 70D Features Video

001ml.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike. It would be nice to know what link that is but I will have to search for it. Does Magic Lantern cost?
Announcements