cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D Is there a way to control audio while recording video?

sesweitzer
Contributor

I have figured out how to control the audio manually prior to entering the video record mode (no thanks to the manual) but can’t figure out how to control it once the camera is recording.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Sesweitzer,

Since the EOS 70D is a digital SLR and not a camcorder, the sound recording options are different than what you might be used to.  Prior to the start of recording, the EOS 70D must be set to manual sound recording before you start the video recording.  This is the way to control audio whilst recording footage.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

catkoe1
Apprentice

When on safari, the wind blowing into the mike is annoying, is there away to mute that?

Hi catkoe,

Welcome to the Canon Forum!

There is a Wind Filter function you can enable in the menu.

1. Press MENU.
  2. Select [Camera/Video #2] tab.
  3. Select [Sound Recording].
  4. Select [Wind Filter/Attenuator].
  5. Enable the Wind Filter.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, I found it.  If I shoot in scn will it still work?  I am going on an african safari and want to avoid that awful wind sound, just wanting the sounds of the jungle. 

@catkoe1 wrote:

When on safari, the wind blowing into the mike is annoying, is there away to mute that?

To deal with this, you will likely want an external microphone (the Røde "Videomic" series is very popoular... these microphones include a mounting bracket which slides into the hot-shoe -- where you'd normally attach a flash).  

AND... you also probably want to put a wind muff on the microphone (these things are also commonly called a "Deadcat") -- it's the furry thing you see wrapped around microphones when using them outdoors.   The Deadcat doesn't come with the microphone... it's sold as an optional accessory.  Their sole purpose is to reduce the wind noise that a microphone would otherwise have if used in a windy environment.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements