cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D Image Quality Worse than T3i?

cpderic
Contributor

Hey there,

I recently purchased a Canon 70D, an upgrade from my previous camera, the Rebel T3i. But after doing some shooting, I've found the image quality on the 70D to actually be a downgrade from the T3i. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

As a test, I took a few shot out front of my house. Both cameras were set in manual mode with the following settings:

ISO: 400

Shutter Speed: 1/250

Apature: f/9

These shots were both taken on the Canon 18-55 EF-S kit lens.

I opened the images up in Photoshop at 100% resolution, and compared the leaves and branches on a tree.

These were my results.

T3i_Test.jpg

70D_Test.jpg

It seems clear to me that the T3i produces a much sharper and clearer image, which is a dissapointment. With the 70D being a higher price class, I was expecting the image quality to be at least as good as the Rebel series, if not better.

I'd love to hear a second opinion on this issue, or hear from anyone who might have had a similar issue.

Thanks,

Eric

18 REPLIES 18

Itaysab
Contributor
Canon 70d focus issues.

Welcome to the club, wait for canon to admit and fix the problem.

I was never disappointed as now.

Please help us,
The 70d people.

70Downer
Enthusiast

I dont think you could have picked a worse subject as a target in a photo test. the little tree could have moved at the same time as the shutter or the camera picked a different target to aquire focus on.

I think there are problems with MANY 70D's, but that picture proves nothing. Get a high contrest taget and upload the files with all meta data so others can see if there is a difference 

Seems like there are many other posts describing a focus issue with the 70D.

Focus modes were as follows:
70D - 19 Point Automatic Selection
T3i - 9 Point Automatic Selection

For those who wish to see the full images:
70D: http://link.ericrochford.net/70dFullRes
T3i: http://link.ericrochford.net/t3iFullRes

Also, for those who are not satisfied with the tree as the subject, take a look at the light on the house in the background, or possible the frame of the window. You can see the same effect there as on the tree.

After looking at the two full images you posted. You puposely set the 70D up to fail. You focussed on two different things, you then cropped the aera where you had the t3i focussed and chose that as the "test area"

Find a high ccontrast target, set both cameras up the same and FOCUS on the same area. Your biased test proves nothing but your bias.

Will do some other tests with more equal subjects and repost.

Molybdo42
Enthusiast

I agree that you need to take a picture of :

- identical subjects

- without moving the camera (use a tripod)

- by choosing the focus point (do not use autoselect)

- in manual mode to set : exposure, widest aperture (lowest f number), and ISO

- objects out of focus in front and behind the subject (to spot wher the plane of focus is)

Best would be that you post several pictures taken with the 70D : multiple pictures (up to 5) taken through the viewfinder, and another one taken in Liveview (IMPORTANT : use LIVE AF mode). The comparison will allow us to rule out the lens' softness (use manual mode to use the same exposure, ISO, and aperture).

You might be able to solve partially the issue with micro focus adjustment.

Use this procedure to do the MFA (use the the setup procedure detailed in "Canon's suggested Micro Focus Adjustment", and use the "Alternative Canon Liveview based focusing method" ) :

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

If you need to apply something above +-10 on a lens (or two) who work perfectly on the 3Ti, then your camera has an issue. And if after micro focus adjustment you still don't get consistent focus, well then, welcome to the club !

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/EOS-70D-focus-issue-question/m-p/97566#U97566

The only person to have it's camera fixed had his entire focus assembly replaced (mirror, AF sensor) as well as some other things.

I agree the tree subject is a poor choice.  Use a stationary target, which you can d/l some from the web.  Use a tripod.

Every spec on the 70D is better than any spec on the T3i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Part of the issue is, even though the 70D may have focused on the pine tree to the left, there is not enough depth of field that would cause everything else in the shot to become blurred. So even if my two shots aren't the best example, I still think there's something wrong with the camera. If you look at the full images and compare any area of the image, the T3i looks better no matter what.

You right.
Don't let them tell you stories, focus problem !
Announcements