cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D EOS erasing raw settings in between shots -

Sirrina
Apprentice

Hello,

I have been using my 70D for over a year now but only recently have I discovered the use of shooting in raw. My question has two parts:

1) Which raw setting should I choose? RAW, MRAW or SRAW? What is the difference/purpose of each? File size?

2) When I take a photo and wait to take another my camera "goes to sleep" when I "wake it back up" (pardon my ignorance) then the raw settings disappear and it goes back to shooting just jpegs. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you!

Sirrina 

6 REPLIES 6

Tim
Authority

Sirrina, 

The purpose of the different RAW types is to give the user options based on resolution/ output requirements and size constraints.  So for example, if you know space might be limited but still need an uncompressed image then one might select the medium RAW setting or small RAW setting for web output.  What you pick is dependent upon your specific shooting style and needs. RAW files are 20 MP 5472x3648, M RAW are 11 MP 4104x2736 and S RAW are 5 MP 2436x1824.

There is another thread that goes over how to register custom settings into the camera to avoid being lost. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Canon-EOS-70D-Loses-Its-Settings-On-Restart/td-p/206753  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

There is another thread that goes over how to register custom settings into the camera to avoid being lost. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Canon-EOS-70D-Loses-Its-Settings-On-Restart/td-p/206753  

The above link doesn't work, for some reason it appends %A0%A0 on to the end of the link as shown.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Straight RAW is the most compatible with third party RAW processors.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sirrina wrote:

Hello,

I have been using my 70D for over a year now but only recently have I discovered the use of shooting in raw. My question has two parts:

1) Which raw setting should I choose? RAW, MRAW or SRAW? What is the difference/purpose of each? File size?

2) When I take a photo and wait to take another my camera "goes to sleep" when I "wake it back up" (pardon my ignorance) then the raw settings disappear and it goes back to shooting just jpegs. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you!

Sirrina 

What shooting mode are you using?  Are you using a Custom Shooting mode?  When you register a custom shooting mode, there is an option to enable or disable automatically updating the shooting mode with your changes to the settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The answer to number 1 is always shoot full size Raw. If size is a concern you need to make sure you have enough storage space.  Small Raw files defeat the purpose of a Raw file.  It is sorta like those water saving faucets for taking a shower.  Yeah you get wet but thats it.

Numer 2, you need to reset the camera to factory.  If that doesn't work call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

If I recall correctly, shooting anything but a full size RAW file limited some of the image adjustments you could make in DPP4. It seemed like it was only the RAW adjustments that you could make in-camera, at least with my 60D. And I'm only guessing that other Canon DSLRs operate similarly.

Full size RAW files are the only way to go.

Announcements