cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D AF not always focused

coloradosnow
Apprentice
I’ve used this camera for 6 years. I know how to use it and what settings equal a sharp and clear photo. I replaced my lens, thinking my lens was broken, but I’m having the same issues with a brand new lens.
I will take a photo, it’ll look in focus. AF will say it’s in focus. It even looks okay on the screen. However, when I get home and load them on the computer, I’m lucky if 1 out of 10 are perfectly clear.
Any ideas on if this can be fixed? I can’t afford a new camera right now. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No idea.  We need to see what you are seeing.  Can you post samples of a good and bad photo?  Include the EXIF data.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Has this been a problem for the last six years you have used the camera or did it just start?

Has the camera been dropped?

Does the same problem exist if you use LiveView.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

What software are you using?

Do the images look sharp on the camera LCD if you zoom to maximum (1:1). 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The problem has been in the last 6 months to a year. Not always a problem. 

The camera has been banged around a little but not dropped. 

The problem exists in live view or not. 

The problem is there in both RAW and JPEG 

To view the photos, I upload them via EOS utility 2 that came with my camera. I view them through 'preview' on my macbook pro. 

None of my shooting / programs / etc have changed in the last 6 years of owning the camera. 

The images do not always look sharp on the LCD, no. They used to. 

Two lenses, one new, same problem. That rules out a lens problem.

LiveView or not, same problem. That rules out a damaged/misaligned AF sub-mirror. (LiveView is focusing directly on the sensor).

That leads me to believe you may have a damaged lens mount on the camera.

Three more things to try - 1. can you manually focus the lens using the optical viewfinder and see what the images look like? 2. using LiveView can you select an edge focus point and see what happens? 3. in LiveView when you focus using a center focus point can you shift to MF and slightly move focus ring clockwise and counterclockwise. Do different parts of the image come into focus? (What I am trying to see is if the focus plane is not parallel to the sensor.)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements