cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d poor wireless range

ollski
Apprentice

Was looking forward to taking some remote photos of birds on the feeder and also setting the camera up and the middle of a horse showjumping ring and then taking pics from outside the ring, The problem is that the wireless signal is disappeared in 10 meters....even outside in line of sight and to reconnect it I have to take the smartphone right up to the camera again to within a foot. What is everyone elses view and experience of the remote shooting function?

9 REPLIES 9

amfoto1
Authority

I don't know the exact range of the built-in wireless function.... but it's bound to be limited.

As far as I know, the 6D is not compatible with any of the WFT modules that give extended range.

Connecting to a WLAN with an access point can give up to about 100 feet (30M) range. According to the manual, a high performance antenna is needed to give that much range, and obstructions or other wireless interference might significantly reduce this range.

I doubt a phone can give anywhere near that much range. But I don't find any specifications anywhere.

You could use an LC-5 wireless remote controller to take shots up to 300 feet (100M) away from the camera. But it doesn't provide remote Live View or means of controlling the camera, other than tripping the shutter. (Maybe I shouldn't mention here, since this is a Canon-supported blog Smiley Wink... but there are also third party radio triggers that you might use.)

I simply use longer telephotos to take shots of birds at feeders and horses at equestrian events.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Imaging-Resource.com says the WiFi (802.11b/g/n) is reported to be good for about 100' and they claim this is roughly what they got as well when they tested it.

802.11b has terrible range.  g is better, but n is the best.  Also keep in mind that the 2.4GHz spectrum where 802.11 operates is unlicensed bandwidth and pretty much every consumer device uses those same channels.  If there are a lot of phones with bluetooth nearby... that's all interference.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Skirball
Authority

My experience was similar, but I'd say I was getting a bit over 10 meters (indoors, around corners) with it.  I can't say I've tried to use it much outside, but it's certainly worked more than a foot away.  The range is fairly poor when connecting directly from a phone to the camera; I'd assume it's the fault of both the camera and the phone.  But indoors through a LAN it works quite well.  That said, I don't use it much, as I usually find it quicker and easier to just use my little IR remote or a radio trigger if I really want distance. 

ollski
Apprentice

Thanks guys, I linked it through my wireless router and it works great so I guess the problem lies with the range of the smartphone itself.

I am having difficulty finding info re: the LC-5 wireless controller.  Nothing of any value on the Canon website, nothing of value in the new 7D MarkII instruction manual.  Looking for a fairly simple wireless trigger (shutter release) that works on RF (radio signals) and not IR (line of sight).  Canon user for almost 50 years.

Hello digiquisitive,

The LC-5, despite the range being ~300 feet, is not RF but rather infrared strobe type.  We regret to inform you that as of this writing, Canon doesn't have an RF remote in the current lineup.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, Tim. Yes, this answers my question. But, I see no Accept As Solution button anywhere.

Digi:

Check out the Yongnuo RF flash triggers, like the RF-603 II or the original RF-602.  They're made for off-camera flash, but can double as an RF shutter trigger.  They come with a cable to trigger the shutter, but it's a phono jack, so you need to get a converter to go from phono to that three-pronged thing they use on the 6D/FF cameras. 

I use the RF-602.  The RF-603 II fixed a few small issues with the RF-602 and RF-603, but if you're only using it as a shutter trigger it might not bother you.  The transmitter on the 602 is very small, which you may prefer.  But the transmitter doesn't have an off switch, which is also a hassle (fixed on 603).  The 60s is about $20 (Amazon), and 603 II about $30.

Skirball hits another home run!  Thanks very much.

DQ

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements