New Contributor

Re: 6d mode dial plate fell off

Hi Nakame San

Thank you very much.

Best reagards.

Apon

New Contributor

Quick update, Canon "kindly" agreed to replace the dial plate for free. I haven't got the camera back yet, it will take another week... 3 weeks to replace a dial plate is quite disappointing, I had 2 trips and couldn't use my camera because of this, not good
Honored Contributor

@Nakame78 wrote:
Quick update, Canon "kindly" agreed to replace the dial plate for free. I haven't got the camera back yet, it will take another week... 3 weeks to replace a dial plate is quite disappointing, I had 2 trips and couldn't use my camera because of this, not good

<chuckle!> You're in Japan, where the cameras are made, and a simple repair takes three weeks. Yet when I drop off a camera at the Canon shop in Jamesburg, New Jersey, it usually arrives at my home the next day.

We have an expression in the U.S.: "The cobbler's children have no shoes."  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
New Contributor

I like that expression Bob Smiley Wink

So I just got my camera back, I wasn't charged 1 yen (as it should be) but definitely my first experience with Canon support is negative. It took exactly 3 weeks for them to replace a tiny metal dial cover, and considering that I live in Tokyo this is quite surprising to say the least..

New Contributor

Disappointed with Canon.  I just ordered a replacement mode dial plate and it will cost $25.  The money is not the issue. I have over 7k in Canon gear and being charged for an obvious manufacturing defect is like a slap in the face.  The phone number for the replacement part is 866-481-2569.  The phone support person immediately knew what the replacement part number was.

New Contributor

Let's see what happens today when I bring my camera to the canon service center.

Seems to be an endemic problem...

Gilles.

New Contributor

I just lost the mode dial cap for the second time in less than a year -- first time the camera was only about 4 months old.  Canon said that I could send it in to have them repair the camera -- eventhough the camera was new it would cost a minimum $219 for them to replace the less than $20 part.  Really bummed out on this.  Now I need to order the part again because I lost it last week while hiking in Utah and couldn't find the part on the trail

Reputable Contributor

Mine also fell off. I used super glue.
DCS 3c, DCS 520, D30, D60, 1Ds, 300D, 30D, 1000D IR, 7D, 6D, 6D, M5
15-45/3.5-6.3 IS, 16-35/4 IS, 22/2, 24/1.4 II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, 70-200/2.8 IS II, 300/2.8 IS
New Contributor

So mine was replaced, for free, under warranty, in less than a week.

New Contributor

If you have the means, I created a dial plate using sticker printing paper and an internet photo for reference. Not perfect, but pratical until i had to send camera in for other repairs and had it replaced. Just need to make sure to match the camera modes.