cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d mode dial plate fell off

lightight
Contributor

The face plate on the mode dial of my 6d has fallen off. Best way to get a replacement? Will service center send a new one or will I need to send it in. Still under warranty.

Thanks,

David G

49 REPLIES 49

Polinahe01
Apprentice

My mode dial plate fell off.  Iʻm curious about other reports of this because it seems that there is supposed to be a rubber piece between the plate and the actual camera body.  In my case, there is no dial plate or rubber plate - just camera. I ordered a new plate and it arrived with a small piece of 3M tape. Can someone explain exactly how to replace the dial plate? Can I use to glue to attach the plate directly to the camera? or do I need to have some sort of buffer?

@Polinahe01 wrote:

My mode dial plate fell off.  Iʻm curious about other reports of this because it seems that there is supposed to be a rubber piece between the plate and the actual camera body.  In my case, there is no dial plate or rubber plate - just camera. I ordered a new plate and it arrived with a small piece of 3M tape. Can someone explain exactly how to replace the dial plate? Can I use to glue to attach the plate directly to the camera? or do I need to have some sort of buffer?

The "plate" that has been under discussion in this thread (for the past three years) is glued to the top of the mode dial (the one that selects among P, Av, Tv, etc.) and turns relative to the camera body. You certainly wouldn't glue it directly to the camera. I suspect that you're talking about an entirely different part.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

My mode dial has fallen off twice in less than 2 years so I guess I am a good resource.  The first time I did not get any 2-sided tape to put the dial on.  I took it to my camera store and they put it on for me with 2-sided tape.  That lasted about 6 months.  The last time I put the dial on myself using super glue.  I put a small amount of glue on a sewing needle and put it on the camera dial very carefully - sparingly.  Then I put the dial plate on.  That was over 18 months ago and I have not had any problems.  Hopefully, the super glue will be the answer.

Newbie6D
Contributor
Everyones mode dial is galling off. They are piece of rubbish.
If you are in Australia, if the camera is 8 weeks old, take it back the shop.
They will have to repair it at least. Its manufacturers fault. Bad design

Newbie6D
Contributor
Thats funny. Mine fell out of my 6D at 6 weks slso. But the other dial button is working inconsistently also.
The Canon camera is of bad design. Very different to my other Canons. Cheap garbage.

@Newbie6D wrote:
Thats funny. Mine fell out of my 6D at 6 weks slso. But the other dial button is working inconsistently also.
The Canon camera is of bad design. Very different to my other Canons. Cheap garbage.

Er... Didn't you happen to mention in a nearby thread that the camera got wet? That changes things things a bit, doesn't it? I think everyonr knows that a 6D is not weatherproofed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The Canon camera is of bad design. .... Cheap garbage."

Isn't it strange thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of 6 series don't do that.  Yours did, who knows the circumstances, and the whole lot is "Cheap garbage." Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

penelopehughes
Apprentice

Hi everyone!

So...I did something really terrible. When my dial plate fell off, I glued it back on and I think some of the glue got in the middle of the dial and it no longer turns. I'm afraid to use acetone on it because it's an electronic but I think that might be the only thing that would help disolve the glue?

I thought about using a dental pick to try to scrape off the glue as well. Any ideas? Anyone used acetone on their body before?

diser
Apprentice

My Mode Dial cover is gone on 30D and 6D after two years of using each camera. Canon uses crappy glue for these dials and not improving anything year after year.

@diser wrote:

My Mode Dial cover is gone on 30D and 6D after two years of using each camera. Canon uses crappy glue for these dials and not improving anything year after year.

My 6D is nearly 5 years old, and I've never had a problem with the mode dial.  Then again, I really do not touch it to change shooting mode very often.  In fact, I almost never change it from M mode. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements