cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d mode dial plate fell off

lightight
Contributor

The face plate on the mode dial of my 6d has fallen off. Best way to get a replacement? Will service center send a new one or will I need to send it in. Still under warranty.

Thanks,

David G

49 REPLIES 49

If you have the means, I created a dial plate using sticker printing paper and an internet photo for reference. Not perfect, but pratical until i had to send camera in for other repairs and had it replaced. Just need to make sure to match the camera modes.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

dryhumor1
Apprentice

Disappointed with Canon.  I just ordered a replacement mode dial plate and it will cost $25.  The money is not the issue. I have over 7k in Canon gear and being charged for an obvious manufacturing defect is like a slap in the face.  The phone number for the replacement part is 866-481-2569.  The phone support person immediately knew what the replacement part number was.

Let's see what happens today when I bring my camera to the canon service center.

Seems to be an endemic problem...

Gilles.

So mine was replaced, for free, under warranty, in less than a week.

Where on the dial plate did you apply the glue?

I recovered/found my plate, but I'm hesitant to apply glue without knowing what surface on the dial or camera to apply it to.

@fontgeek_1 wrote:

Where on the dial plate did you apply the glue?

I recovered/found my plate, but I'm hesitant to apply glue without knowing what surface on the dial or camera to apply it to.

You're gluing something flat to something flat, so it's not rocket science. Use cyanoacrylate glue, but sparingly, keeping it away from the center, which is where the moving parts are. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Peter
Authority
Authority
Mine also fell off. I used super glue.

thehip828
Apprentice

Amazon is now carrying replacement dials....

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mode-Dial-Plate-Interface/dp/B00ONQ17KE

ScottyP
Authority

Just a note on glue.  

My 6d dial fell off and I glued it back on.  The dial had been attached with 3 tiny dots of a soft rubbery glue, which you could still plainly see attached to the dial.   I read up on it, and they use a glue that will flex when the temperature of the metal changes without breaking as a brittle glue would.  

There were a few options but I went with a tube of "Goop" glue.  It has held just fine for several months now.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements