cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d mode dial plate fell off

lightight
Contributor

The face plate on the mode dial of my 6d has fallen off. Best way to get a replacement? Will service center send a new one or will I need to send it in. Still under warranty.

Thanks,

David G

49 REPLIES 49

Just give Canon customer service a call. They can direct you to who to contact for replacement. If the camera is still under warrenty, you can send them the camera and they will replace it for free. It cost me $10 to have one shipped to me. It was easy to attach once I got it.

Same thing happened to my 6D after 13 months from purchase - out of warranty, of course.  Fortunately, I found the dial in the bottom of the bag.  I called Canon and they will supply the cap, but not the adhesive, nor instructions on how to install, nor tell you over the phone how to do it.  You can send in the camera to Canon, or do it yourself with no guidance.

For anyone who doesn't have the part and wants to buy it, call Canon USA 1-866-261-9362 M-F 8am-Midnight ET, Sat, 10am-8pm ET.  The part number is CB3-9289-010.  Current cost is $16.77 + $6.00 for ground shipping in US.  You can order over the phone with a credit card.

Canon did not build it well, or handle the repair well.  2 demerits from me.

Nakame78
Apprentice
I live in Japan and I bought the 6D a month ago, yesterday I realized that the face plate covering the mode dial was missing but unfortunately I do not know where I lost it. I cannot believe that so many people are reporting this issue on such an expensive camera, but most of all I cannot believe what I have been told at the repair center where I left it this morning: Canon might charge me for it! Even if it's a month old camera and it's a clear design flaw, I have no idea when and where it fell off! If they charge me 1 single yen for this I'm going to be mad

Hi Nakame San
I am facing the same problem. I lost my 6D dial plate also. Kindly let me know in which shop you have submitted for repair? How much they will charge you? I will be in tokyo on 24th of this month and would like to repair my camera dial plate. Pls help. Regards and thanks. Apon

Hi Apon, I took the camera at the shop where I bought it, Bic Camera Shinjuku 3-chome. There is a repair center there but I guess they have to send it to Canon anyway.
They still haven't contacted me but I am not going to pay 1 yen and you shouldn't either if you are under warranty (unless you damaged it yourself), as this is a clear design issue. I will post another reply when I have an update.

Hi Nakame San

Thank you very much.

Best reagards.

Apon

Quick update, Canon "kindly" agreed to replace the dial plate for free. I haven't got the camera back yet, it will take another week... 3 weeks to replace a dial plate is quite disappointing, I had 2 trips and couldn't use my camera because of this, not good

@Nakame78 wrote:
Quick update, Canon "kindly" agreed to replace the dial plate for free. I haven't got the camera back yet, it will take another week... 3 weeks to replace a dial plate is quite disappointing, I had 2 trips and couldn't use my camera because of this, not good

<chuckle!> You're in Japan, where the cameras are made, and a simple repair takes three weeks. Yet when I drop off a camera at the Canon shop in Jamesburg, New Jersey, it usually arrives at my home the next day.

We have an expression in the U.S.: "The cobbler's children have no shoes."  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I like that expression Bob 😉

So I just got my camera back, I wasn't charged 1 yen (as it should be) but definitely my first experience with Canon support is negative. It took exactly 3 weeks for them to replace a tiny metal dial cover, and considering that I live in Tokyo this is quite surprising to say the least..

I just lost the mode dial cap for the second time in less than a year -- first time the camera was only about 4 months old.  Canon said that I could send it in to have them repair the camera -- eventhough the camera was new it would cost a minimum $219 for them to replace the less than $20 part.  Really bummed out on this.  Now I need to order the part again because I lost it last week while hiking in Utah and couldn't find the part on the trail

Announcements