cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d mkii or 90d from t3i?

mercuzyho
Apprentice

Heyyo!

Its been a long time since Ive looked for a new camera and ahve been using a hand me down t3i for years. Been getting more serious the past 2 years and feel it is time for a step up. Most of my photography has been street/urban at night  and auto during the day.

Current lens setup now is.

60-300 ef 

50ef 1.8

24efs 2.8

18-55efs

The 6d2 is a full frame and all that but then the 90d is brand new and 32mp but the crop sensor.

Both of these are absolutely at the max of my budget of about 1200.

As far as lens go Im mainly use the 24 and 50 on the t3i. (Ive come to like the prime better when working all the angles)

Ive spent all night researching the two and while full fram would be better in low light would the 90d newer tech makeup for that. 

Or should I go with the mirrorless m6 mkii and use the lens adapters?

I just still cant decide.

Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7

@mercuzyho wrote:

Heyyo!

Its been a long time since Ive looked for a new camera and ahve been using a hand me down t3i for years. Been getting more serious the past 2 years and feel it is time for a step up. Most of my photography has been street/urban at night  and auto during the day.

Current lens setup now is.

60-300 ef 

50ef 1.8

24efs 2.8

18-55efs

The 6d2 is a full frame and all that but then the 90d is brand new and 32mp but the crop sensor.

Both of these are absolutely at the max of my budget of about 1200.

As far as lens go Im mainly use the 24 and 50 on the t3i. (Ive come to like the prime better when working all the angles)

Ive spent all night researching the two and while full fram would be better in low light would the 90d newer tech makeup for that. 

Or should I go with the mirrorless m6 mkii and use the lens adapters?

I just still cant decide.

Thanks!!

I'm not familiar enough with the 6D2 or the 90D to give you accurate advice on that decision. But I would advise against buying any mirrorless except a member of the R series. I rather doubt that the M series has much of a future for serious photography.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I rather doubt that the M series has much of a future for serious photography.

I would tend to agree with that observation, except Canon continues to release new M series cameras.

But, the M series selection of lenses seems incomplete, and lacking fast lenses.  The EF-M 22mm f/2 STM is tack sharp, and makes for a great little combo with the M3, or any other M body for that matter.  More recent EF-M 35mm macro is the only other fast prime that has been released.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you Robert.
The mirrorless camera have made large advancements in recent years, but Im kinda cautious about it as well. That being said I havent used one yet.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Deciding between the 6D2 and 90D is a hard choice.  I think it comes down to how you plan to use the camera.  Your two EF-S lenses will not mount onto the full frame 6D2, but they will mount onto the 90D.  On that note, I would advise the 90D.

I agree with Bob's suggestion to approach the M Series of mirrorless cameras with some caution.  It is hard to tell what plans Canon has for the future of the EF-M, which is can be adapted to the DSLR EF and EF-S mounts, but not the mirrorless RF mount.  Likewise the RF mount can be adapted to the DSLR EF and EF-S mounts, but not the mirrorless EF-M mount.  

Canon has too many camera mounts, IMHO.  I think it is likely that at least one will need to go away.  Canon new product releases suggest that they intend to fully support all four camera counts.  I just think it is odd that Canon has two different mirrorless mounts that are not compatible with one another.

If I ignore the uncertainties surrounding the future of Canon [camera] mounts, I would prefer the 90D over the M6 Mark II.  The strike against the M6 Mark II is that it lacks a viewfinder, which is available at an extra cost.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.

I do find the whole lens conversions and what works and what doesnt extremely confusing. Along with lack a view finder stock kinda turns me off as well. You also mention the lack of ef-m glass as well. While the adapter does work for some I would probably make the switch to a mirrorless a few years down the road when they expand that selection and arent fricking expensive.

While Im not super concerned with those losing those two lens given I got them for cheap, It would be nice to retain them as well.

Overall after sleeping on it last night I will probably go for the recomendation of the 90d. The full frame difference of the 6d mkii is still the one thing that makes me hesitant but overall looking at my photography style I dont think it would actually change much.

"Overall after sleeping on it last night I will probably go for the recomendation of the 90d."

Smart man/lady, that is the best choice for you.

"I dont think it would actually change much."

It doesn't, again smart man/lady, but you will hear some BS that the only thing in the world is FF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Current lens setup now is.

60-300 ef 

50ef 1.8

24efs 2.8

18-55efs"

I would sell all of them. Buy either the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens or the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon EF for your new 90D. Get this combo, Get it going and learn it.  Then a bit later look for a tele, perhaps the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens or it's little brother the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements