Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

6d m2 will not trigger in live view mode

I bought the 6dm2 specifically for the tilt screen with live view and I am so frustrated.

In live view mode, my pocket wizards and my nissan flash will not trigger.

Any fixes? (Even if I have to purchase a canon trigger/receiver and a new canon flash. I just need to know what to do to fix this issue)
Reputable Contributor

Re: 6d m2 will not trigger in live view mode

[ Edited ]

All Canon cameras default to "Silent Shooting" in Live View, and this disables flash shooting.

Canon brand flash units, and many 3rd party ETTL flash units, will automatically "Disable'" Silent Shooting but many radio triggers and other flash units will not.

You can easily fix your problem by going into the "Silent LV shoot" menu and then selecting "Disable".

Silent.jpg

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
VIP

If you use a Canon flash (on the 1Dx anyway) the Disable option will be selected even is the menu is set to Mode 1 or Mode 2, however if the flash is not a Canon dedicated flash it won’t fire unless you have manually selected Disable from the menu. If you are using a Canon flash, even with several off camera Speedlites, the camera will switch to Disable automatically. Simple radio triggers, even Pocket Wizard Plus II’s, are not seen as dedicated and so the camera won’t trigger the flash in Live View mode.  Switching the shooting mode to Disable will solve the problem.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, along with less other stuff.
New Contributor

Amazing. This worked. Thank you so much.
New Contributor

The menu on my 6D MKII only has 4 menu options in the red Camerar menu not 6 as shown in your screen shot. I can't seem to find ther silent LV shoot mode. Is there and advanced menu that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, the photo showing the 6 red menu tabs is not from  a 6D Mk II. 

First you need to enable Liveview shooting under tab 4.

3E62DB6F-02AE-4EB1-8418-E09E2C2209CF.jpeg

Then you should be able to access tab 5 with Silent LV shoot at the bottom.

6FD234DC-0709-47B1-B57F-57424A0CF912.jpeg

487FA6EF-D47E-4562-BF00-5F3A555CB8C4.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III