cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d connects to wifi home network, but unable to see printer

Naldoj
Apprentice

I recently purchased the Canon EOS 6D, and was able to get the wifi connection established to my iphone without issue. So now I moved on to getting it setup for wireless printing, and I seem to be having issues.

I have been going through the wifi printer setup, and through this I am able to get the 6D connected to my home network, but it gets stuck on the screen where it says to verify that the printer is connected to the same access point. The printer thats on my home network is an HP 6520, and I can print from my laptop over wifi, and also from my iphone over wifi as well.

Troubleshooting wise, I have turned off the printer, and let it reconnect to the network while the 6D was searching for it. I have removed/readded the printer to my network. I reset it, and reconnected it from scratch. Still no success. I have even tested creating an Ad-hoc network, directly between the two, and this also was unsuccessful. Odd thing though, the printer accepted the connection, but the camera did not.  I even took a look into my router, and verified no IP conflict, and added an even did the manual IP setup option, and still nothing.

Any clue on this? Is the issue that its not a Canon printer? Could it be my router(apple)? Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

Naldoj
Apprentice

Searching through the forums, it looks as though no ones really attempted setting this up, Anything ideas from Canon support?

Sorry, never had any desire to use such a function - I always post process.

Canon doesn't really offer any support through this forum, it's mostly just member discussion.  I suggest you contact Canon support - but even then, companies usually aren't forthcoming with jumping into IT issues like setting up networks.

You can also try to 'experience the new Service and Support Center.  Let us know how that works for you  🙂

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/Experience-the-new-Service-amp-Support-Center/m-p/37084...

Awesome, I will definitely check that out. Also I dont usually use that function, I solely PP on my computer, but on a whim I decided to mess with the wireless printing from the camera, and with the type of person I am( I have to make sure something works properly), I fell deep into the rabbit hole. So now I am intrigued on getting this to work. 

Thanks again, and I will surely post here what I find out.

atlanticinkjet
Contributor

It can be done. I have done it. I used the wifi manual step by step, and it worked. Transferring images by cable is faster. Entering long passwords for network is a bit cumbersome. Try make meaningful names for your network setups.

If you are not certain where to start, read the whole wifi manual first. Setting up network does require some time the first time you do it.  You have to know what type of network encryption you have on your network along with the network key/password.

If i remember correctly you should first enter some "1 - Basic settings" then jump to "5- Using a Wireless LAN access Point"  -> Manual Connection by Searching Networks,  followed by "Remote operation Using EOS Utility" etc

Note that not all functions for EOS utility will show before the camera is connected to you wifi network. And the EOS utility must be updated if you were running an older version.

So far i find it meaningful to pair the camera with my smartphone using wifi, either using infrastructure mode or with camera access point mode. The latter is more difficult when being in a place where the smartphone already has a network, since neither camera nor smartphone will wait particularly long for the other one to get set up.[Removed link per Community Guidelines]

The camera menus are not perfectly clear about when the camera is attempting to use wifi and when it has given up.

The user interface for wifi can be improved a lot, but all the functionality needed is there..

Good luck!

Atlantic Inkjet
Announcements