cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d Mll AV mode

chief
Rising Star

How do i set aperture in AV mode live view when shooting a video?

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You can not set aperture in Av mode when shooting movies. The camera defaults to auto exposure just as in program mode.

I believe all the "Pro" cameras like the 7D, 7D Mk II, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk IV, 1D X Mk II, etc will let you select aperture in Av mode while shooting movies. 

Use Manual mode if you want to select your own aperture. 6D2 movies.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@chiefwrote:

You can use any of the Creative modes to shoot video. Just turn on video mode with LV/Video switch.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzlewrote:

@chiefwrote:

You can use any of the Creative modes to shoot video. Just turn on video mode with LV/Video switch.

With cameras like the 80D and 6D Mk II, only Manual Mode gives you you any control over aperture when shooting Video. All the other modes will operate in a "Program" mode where shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all automatically set by the camera. 

You must use Manual mode if you want any control to set your own ISO, and use something like f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsunwrote:

@Waddizzlewrote:

@chiefwrote:

With cameras like the 80D and 6D Mk II, only Manual Mode gives you you any control over aperture when shooting Video. All the other modes will operate in a "Program" mode where shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all automatically set by the camera. 

You must use Manual mode if you want any control to set your own ISO, and use something like f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field.

Just checked that out with an AF lens.  You are correct. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements