cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d Mark ii all back buttons stopped working

Toju
Contributor

Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced this issue. all back buttons on my 6d Mark ii suddenly stopped working (i.e menu, info, Q, playback, set, live view, delete). The touch screen is also not responding. 

19 REPLIES 19

Toju
Contributor
Not it isn't.

Toju
Contributor
No it isn't.

Toju, did you get this issue fixed? I was out yesterday in the rain with my Mark II and today when I tried to use it the touch screen doesn't respond. The screen itself is lit up, but the electronic symbol in the bottom left of the screen ("Q") is grayed out. And that is with a lens attached. If I take the lens off, however, the button lights back up and responds to touch again, as do all the electronic symbols on the touch screen. I had thought that maybe the contacts on either the camera or the lens could be dirty or contaminated from the rain so I cleaned them. Still doesn't work. I then attached a lens that stayed home yesterday and never got wet... also still doesn't work.    

Toju
Contributor
Hi SeanE. Yes I did. Luckily my Mark II was still under warranty so I took it to the service center and had it repaired.
The guy there explained that some component close to the lock switch was loose and all he did was tighten it back. Was fixed in a day.
It's been okay since then.

Interesting. For me it was condensation that got into the camera. I put my camera in front of a little portable heater I have, and when I checked it an hour later everything worked. I was a little surprised because I had always thought that Canon equipment was really well weather sealed... and it just got rained on, after all. It's not like I threw it into a lake. Anyway, happy to hear that your issue was fixed. Thanks for responding, and good shooting! 

" I had always thought that Canon equipment was really well weather sealed... "

The professional model Canon cameras are really well weather sealed. The regular consumer models, which is what the 6 series is, are not all that tightly made. As a general rule cameras and water do not do well together. You got lucky!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Carolrauenribei
Apprentice
Hi Toju! My camera has exactly the same problem!! So nice to hear from you!! I left my camera on for a day and when I pic it up it was like this! I was desperate! Thank you so much for sharing, I will that to the repair section tomorrow! That is no way we ourselves can fix it right?

"...no way we ourselves can fix it right?"

You can try the full reset but that's about it.  You have no non-Canon attachments? If so remove it/them.  No off brand batteries?  BTW, the battery is fully charged?

EB

Toju
Contributor
No I don't think there is. Tried doing a lot back then without results. But it was a very quick fix and hasn't reoccurred since then.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
You don’t think there is or there isn’t? Just try the bare camera not even a lens. Reset it do a full reset.

Especially no battery grip!
EB
Announcements