Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

6d Mark II or 5D Mark III

Hello,

I am looking for an upgrade from my current APS-C camera to a FF.

The biggest thing i am debating is whether to go with the new Canon 6D Mark II or get the 5d Mark iii. 

I am a hobbyist and looking forward to pursue photography as a part time. I have acquired couple FF lenses in the last year and currently using them with my rebel t3i (yes, it is an old camera but still able to get a lot from it).

I like the newer 6d ii as it sports a newer sensor and have some good bells and whistiles like the higher MP, WiFi, GPS, Tilt swivelTouchscreen etc compared to the 5d iii but the latter having more AF points , dual slots  and faster shutter (not sure how often i will use 1/8000 Smiley Wink)

The 5d iv is another thing i started to consider but i am not much into videos and probably could use that difference to acquire a new glass.

Since both 6d ii and the 5d iii are around the same price, need suggestions as to which one would be a good investment ( knowing would like to  pursue photography as a part time in the near future).

Your suggestions and inputs are very valuable. I have a family photoshoot coming up this october and looking forward to get the new camera for the shoot.

Thanks,

Sunny.

Respected Contributor

Re: 6d Mark II or 5D Mark III

How much fast action/sports will you be shooting?  The 5d3 has more sophisticated autofocus and a bigger spread of AF points. If the answer is "not much" get the 6d and spend the savings on a lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Highlighted
VIP

That can be a tough choice.  The best answer depends upon how you plan to use the camera.  

For the photo enthusiast, the 6D2 should be more than enough camera.  It has a MUCH improved AF sensor and system, which almost rivals the basic AF modes in the 5D3.  The 6D2 has 27 AF points capable of focusing at f/8, while the 5D3 has just one f/8 point, the center AF point.  The number of f/8 AF points can become significant if you use an extender, which can typically disable all AF points, except for f/8 AF points.

The 5D3 has a much better build than the 6D2.  It also has a faster frame rate, dual memory card slots, and a better shutter.  Those features are enough to convince most people to go for the 5D3.  But, it really comes down to how you plan to use it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

I don't think you will see or even can see (real world use) a difference so buy the one you want.  Or, do get the cheaper of the two and buy a nice lens for it.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.