cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

tomhillmeyer
Contributor

Hello!

I've been going back and forth the past few days between getting a 6D(mk I) or an 80D and I'd love some help. I can get either and glass for about the same price I've found and now I can't decide.

The biggest thing I'm debating is full frame. The 6D is so tempting with full frame, but I feel that buying a 6D would just make me want the 5DmkIII (or IV) even more, especially if the AF is as bad as I've heard. If I go with an 80D, I can have a lot of great features, most of which the 6D lacks (better AF, more MP, 60fps at 1080p, etc.). From reading reviews, it seems that the 6D just isn't worth it and a lot of people just jump to the 5D line. Would a 6D vs 80D be like a subpar FF camera vs. a really good crop sensor camera?

A little about me, I'm a portrait/still-life/landscape photographer and videographer. I've been using the T5i for about 4 years now (laugh all you want, I know it's a Rebel and I need an upgrade). Not doing anything crazy nor am I a snob for cameras, but I'd like to get some informed opinions (thus the post).

In conclusion, in your opinion would the full frame capability of the 6D outweigh the features/capabilites of the 80D even though it's a crop sensor? I will eventually go for a 5D probably around the Mk V or VI in the coming years and hop into 4K/full frame, and I think the 80D will give me some time to collect some good FF glass to make the jump.

Again, they're around the same price (from my sources), so it's really down to full frame vs features like quicker AF and smaller size and more MP and whatnot. I also recognize the 80D is a newer model than the 6Dmk1, so that's also makes me lean towards it.

Let me know what you think! Thank you so much!

45 REPLIES 45

So, let's not "have a another go at this."

You'er right.  When your ego gets so big that you are convinced you know the only way, it becomes an exercise in futility. But my friend, there are many ways to an end. Not simply yours!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

So, let's not "have a another go at this."

You'er right.  When your ego gets so big that you are convinced you know the only way, it becomes an exercise in futility. But my friend, there are many ways to an end. Not simply yours!

Not only are you still having another go at it, you're projecting, too.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.

This is the main take-away from this thread, IMHO. As someone who also has plans to move to FF, it makes zero sense (to me) to buy any more EF-S lenses. 

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.

This is the main take-away from this thread, IMHO. As someone who also has plans to move to FF, it makes zero sense (to me) to buy any more EF-S lenses. 

Buy lenses for the camera you have. Either you will keep that camera when you upgrade so you'll want the lenses for it, or you will be selling the camera and can sell the lenses too.

I'm a late comer to this thread, but. I owned a 7D and purchased a 6D because of all they hype about fullframe. I later upgraded to the 7D Mk II, as the 6D was sitting doing nothing I decided to give it and the EF 24-105 f/4L IS kit lens to my daughter. 

There are many things I can do with the 7D Mk II that I couldn't do with my 6D, and little to nothing I could do with the 6D that I can't with my 7D Mk II.

edit: FOV is based more on the lenses you buy than the camera, especially since lenses like the EF-S 10-18mm IS STM are available. As far as DOF for a head shot the 85mm f/1.8 on an APS-C camera at 10 feet has a depth of field 2 inchs in front of the plane of focus and 2 inches behind it. Just enough to cover from the tip of the nose to the earlobe when focused on the eyes. I don't need shallower depth of field than that. 

"Buy lenses for the camera you have."

"... purchased a 6D because of all they hype about fullframe"

Hallelujah !  Spot on.  Smiley Happy

EB

I don't have a crop body anylonger so I can't consider the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  But if I had to choose between the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon and the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens I probably would go for the Canon.  As a matter of fact I do own that lens only in the first version.

The Sigma is a DC lens which means it is a crop sensor design. On an 80D it is a truly fantastic combo.  It is likely sharper than the Canon on the same camera.

EB
Announcements