Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
VIP
Posts: 10,993
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

"Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it."

 

Pay attention,  s-l-o-w-l-y, he can still use the ef-s lenses on his 80D.  Nothing changed that.  It is all good.  It is possible to take complete advantage of both formats EVEN at the same time.  You can own both !  Lot's of folks do.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,966
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...are you arguing that it is okay to a heavy investment in "EF-S" mount lenses,..."

 

OK it surely is, if that is what you want.

 

" I used crop and FF together for many years"

 

I think you must need more sleep.  I used the ef-s lenses on the Rebels and ef on the FF.  Now that wasn't really that hard to understand was it?  Purchasing an 80D now with the Siggy has little to do with future goals of obtaining a FF.  The 80D and the Sigma will still do their job as always. "They will still be viable on his 80D."

 

Get some more coffee!  Smiley Wink


One, the OP doesn't know what they want, or how to decide.  That's the reason for this thread.

Two, you're moving the goal posts.  You promoted the idea of buying a Sigma DC lens, not a 150-600, in the post I replied to.

Three, no one cares what you have used, because it is irrelevant to the original question.  The OP is looking for advice on going FF now, or sticking with an APS-C body and going with a better FF in the future.

My advice was to consider what types of lenses to begin investing in.  My suggestion was to make a choice, and to choose only buying FF mount lenses, because they can work on either type of body.  Your advice was to invest heavily in a "DC" lens, simply because you liked it, despite the fact that it was a "bad fit" for the OP.  Excuse me, for point this out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP
Posts: 10,993
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

This is the suggestion I made in case you forgot.

"...consider this 'kit', the EOS 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It'll blow the doors off anything close to the price point."

 

I am sure the OP has long lost interest in the dribble you have tried to insert.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,966
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

[ Edited ]

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it."

 

Pay attention,  s-l-o-w-l-y, he can still use the ef-s lenses on his 80D.  Nothing changed that.  It is all good.  It is possible to take complete advantage of both formats EVEN at the same time.  You can own both !  Lot's of folks do.


LOL.  

In another post you recently made, you argued the same point that I was making now.  You pointed out that if you have both formats, then you should only invest in EF lenses, not EF-S lense, because you will only wind up buying them twice: an EF version and an EF-S version.

If you have both formats, the only EF-S format lens that makes sense to buy would be an ultra-wide, like a 10-18mm or 10-22mm.  Something in those ranges.  Investing heavily in [EF-S] zooms with longer focal lengths is simply bad advice.  Get over it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,966
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.


@Waddizzle wrote:

@tomhillmeyer wrote:
I will keep it in mind, thank you! I was eyeing the Canon 16-35 2.8L, but the Sigma looks much more appealing (especially at that price!)

Any idea how they would compare? Just glancing at the Sigma right now they seem to be similar lenses, and that f/1.8 is very intriguing to me.

Haha trust me I know how important good glass is Smiley Wink

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.


You're wrong again, Ernie. 

There is my initial post on the subject of lens choices.  The OP was responding to your suggestion of the Sigma 18-35mm DC lens, instead of the Canon 16-35mm lenses.  Bad advice.

BTW, for similar reasons the Sigma 18-135mm DC is bad advice, too, for someone looking to go FF in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Valued Contributor
Posts: 341
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.


@Waddizzle wrote:

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.


This is the main take-away from this thread, IMHO. As someone who also has plans to move to FF, it makes zero sense (to me) to buy any more EF-S lenses. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,921
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.


@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it."

 

Pay attention,  s-l-o-w-l-y, he can still use the ef-s lenses on his 80D.  Nothing changed that.  It is all good.  It is possible to take complete advantage of both formats EVEN at the same time.  You can own both !  Lot's of folks do.


LOL.  

In another post you recently made, you argued the same point that I was making now.  You pointed out that if you have both formats, then you should only invest in EF lenses, not EF-S lense, because you will only wind up buying them twice: an EF version and an EF-S version.

If you have both formats, the only EF-S format lens that makes sense to buy would be an ultra-wide, like a 10-18mm or 10-22mm.  Something in those ranges.  Investing heavily in zooms with longer focal lengths is simply bad advice.  Get over it.


In the assumed scenario, I don't know that even the ultra-wide makes sense, since a less wide lens on the FF body will produce the same result, probably with less distortion.

 

One thing that does make sense, if you're stuck with both formats for historical reasons: a good 17-55 for the crop camera, for events where you want to use a longer or wider lens on the FF body.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,966
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:
.

In the assumed scenario, I don't know that even the ultra-wide makes sense, since a less wide lens on the FF body will produce the same result, probably with less distortion.

 

One thing that does make sense, if you're stuck with both formats for historical reasons: a good 17-55 for the crop camera, for events where you want to use a longer or wider lens on the FF body.


Didn't say it was a prerequisite.  It's the only EF-S mount that makes sense to buy.  There are FF mount lenses that cover the 17-55mm range, either in part or in whole.  The Canon FF mount in 10-18mm range is a fisheye.  The EF-S mount designs give you a rectilinear image that is a FF equivalent of 16-35mm or so.  

 

But, it is not a MUST BUY.  It is the only EF-S mount purchase that makes sense to me.  A FF mount can cover everything else, and can be used on either camera body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP
Posts: 10,993
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

"You're wrong again, Ernie."

 

Of course I am...not !  Let's have another go at this.  I'll go even s-l-o-w-e-r so it does sink in more easily.  I am probably the longest continuously active member currently here.  Robert is close, too.  The posts made years ago or even a year ago are effected by a thing called change.  Also, innovation plays a roll.  Might have been valid statements at the time but now we have evolved.  If you can't adapt and change you are gonna wind up like.....well like you.

 

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon did not exist and neither did the 80D.  Wether any one desires to eventually got to a FF format or not, the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon are still going to provide excellent photos.  It needs no further conditions.  There is an end to it.  If you never buy another lens, or camera for that matter, it is still going to be a top notch camera.  And, he is going to be using it TODAY.  Not some arbitrary time in the future that might happen or it might not.

 

I suppose in you were not fully awake when I posted this?  So, I will quote it again for you.

"But if I had to choose between the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon and the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens I probably would go for the Canon."

 

Besides, my friend, these are suggestions and opinions. Even yours, I know it hurts.  They are not hard cold facts.  It may be your choice to not buy ef-s lenses anymore and that is fine.  However, it does not mean it is the right way and only way to accomplish the goal for everybody.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,966
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

"You're wrong again, Ernie."

I was referring to posts you made within the past week, not a year ago.  So, let's not "have a another go at this."  Good day!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement