cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

tomhillmeyer
Contributor

Hello!

I've been going back and forth the past few days between getting a 6D(mk I) or an 80D and I'd love some help. I can get either and glass for about the same price I've found and now I can't decide.

The biggest thing I'm debating is full frame. The 6D is so tempting with full frame, but I feel that buying a 6D would just make me want the 5DmkIII (or IV) even more, especially if the AF is as bad as I've heard. If I go with an 80D, I can have a lot of great features, most of which the 6D lacks (better AF, more MP, 60fps at 1080p, etc.). From reading reviews, it seems that the 6D just isn't worth it and a lot of people just jump to the 5D line. Would a 6D vs 80D be like a subpar FF camera vs. a really good crop sensor camera?

A little about me, I'm a portrait/still-life/landscape photographer and videographer. I've been using the T5i for about 4 years now (laugh all you want, I know it's a Rebel and I need an upgrade). Not doing anything crazy nor am I a snob for cameras, but I'd like to get some informed opinions (thus the post).

In conclusion, in your opinion would the full frame capability of the 6D outweigh the features/capabilites of the 80D even though it's a crop sensor? I will eventually go for a 5D probably around the Mk V or VI in the coming years and hop into 4K/full frame, and I think the 80D will give me some time to collect some good FF glass to make the jump.

Again, they're around the same price (from my sources), so it's really down to full frame vs features like quicker AF and smaller size and more MP and whatnot. I also recognize the 80D is a newer model than the 6Dmk1, so that's also makes me lean towards it.

Let me know what you think! Thank you so much!

45 REPLIES 45

Not trying to bash Rebels! Very surprised more "professionals" don't actually use them, they're great cameras! Just tried to avoid any onslaught of "Well anything's better than a Rebel" comment from the owner of like 7 5Dmk4s.

The Rebels have a special place in my heart. 🙂

Actually I purchased the last five Rebels, all XTi's, a few years before I retired.  I had several more of the even older models.  All my second shooters used the XTi's. When I retired I gave all of them away.

Make sure you keep the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens in mind.  It will transform your new 80D.  IMHO, the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens will out preform even the new 6D Mk II.  Remember it is always the lens!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I will keep it in mind, thank you! I was eyeing the Canon 16-35 2.8L, but the Sigma looks much more appealing (especially at that price!)

Any idea how they would compare? Just glancing at the Sigma right now they seem to be similar lenses, and that f/1.8 is very intriguing to me.

Haha trust me I know how important good glass is 😉

@tomhillmeyer wrote:
I will keep it in mind, thank you! I was eyeing the Canon 16-35 2.8L, but the Sigma looks much more appealing (especially at that price!)

Any idea how they would compare? Just glancing at the Sigma right now they seem to be similar lenses, and that f/1.8 is very intriguing to me.

Haha trust me I know how important good glass is 😉

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses,..."

They will still be viable on his 80D.  Buying a FF in the future has nothing to do with that. I used crop anf FF together for many years.  Seemed to work OK for me.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses,..."

They will still be viable on his 80D.  Buying a FF in the future has nothing to do with that. I used crop anf FF together for many years.  Seemed to work OK for me.

Are you actually arguing that lenses made expressly for the "EF-S" can still be used on a FF body?  

Or, are you arguing that it is okay to a heavy investment in "EF-S" mount lenses, ieven f you plan to invest in a FF body in the near future?

I think he's trying to say be careful with lens selection, because upgrading to full frame in the future is harder the more money you have sunk in EF-S lenses. He's also saying FF lenses are usually higher quality and even if you're not upgrading to full frame in the future, they're much better glass even for a crop sensor.

@tomhillmeyer wrote:

I think he's trying to say be careful with lens selection, because upgrading to full frame in the future is harder the more money you have sunk in EF-S lenses. He's also saying FF lenses are usually higher quality and even if you're not upgrading to full frame in the future, they're much better glass even for a crop sensor.

Doesn't sound like it to me, though.  It sounds like he is promoting the Sigma "DC" lens, even if you plan to go FF.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

"It sounds like he is promoting the Sigma "DC" lens, even if you plan to go FF."

Question, do think people can not own both formats?  What in the world can be wrong with that?

Folks can even own both ef and ef-s lenses at the same time.  No harm, no foul.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It sounds like he is promoting the Sigma "DC" lens, even if you plan to go FF."

Question, do think people can not own both formats?  What in the world can be wrong with that?

Folks can even own both ef and ef-s lenses at the same time.  No harm, no foul.

Sounds like plan, to me.  Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it.  Check!

Announcements