cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6DMKII GPS

Dave-R
Contributor

Recently my 6DMKII quit adding the GPS coordinates to my images.  The GPS function is turned on in the camera menu and set to option 2.  

Is there somewhere else in the menu that could possibly have disconnected it or turned it off?

Anyone's help would be appreciated

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, problem solved.  I downloaded the camera GPs which freed up internal storage space, then I shot 6 images here in my home.  I then unchecked any upload prests that I'd been using and uploaded the files.

The GPS coordinates are again being written to the images.  So, lesson learned, no import presets to be used in LR.

Thanks to all of you who responded for taking time to answer.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Dave-R wrote:

Recently my 6DMKII quit adding the GPS coordinates to my images.  The GPS function is turned on in the camera menu and set to option 2.  

Is there somewhere else in the menu that could possibly have disconnected it or turned it off?

Anyone's help would be appreciated

Dave

Option 2 means the GPS is when the camera is on, and GPS is off when the camera is actually turned off.  

How are you getting images out of the camera?  I think the only way to get the GPS data into the EXIF is to download using a USB cable WITH the GPS turned ON.  This is also the only way to get the camera to download logs for the Map Utility.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your input, 

Option 2 is  GPS is off with camera off, but GPS signals are received periodically in auto power off.

It was working fine until recently.  

I'm transferring my images to Lightroom directly from the memory card and previously had no problems.

Lightroom CC has had a major update recently.  But, that was at least a month ago.  

I never tried importing from the camera straight into LR.  I always use the EOS Utility because it allows me to rename files and sort them into folders on the fly.  

Like I said, the GPS must be turned on during the download in order to transfer any GPS data into the EXIF data.  In fact, not only does GPS need to be turned on.  It needs to actively receiving a GPS signal.  

In other words, the GPS needs to be fully up and running before you start the download with the EOS Utility.  I think they give you this option because transferring photos with GPS data is not as fast as transferring files without GPS data.  Apparently, the camera reads the log files, and updates the EXIF data during the download.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Lightroom CC has had a major update recently.  But, that was at least a month ago.  

I never tried importing from the camera straight into LR.  I always use the EOS Utility because it allows me to rename files and sort them into folders on the fly.  

Like I said, the GPS must be turned on during the download in order to transfer any GPS data into the EXIF data.  In fact, not only does GPS need to be turned on.  It needs to actively receiving a GPS signal.  

In other words, the GPS needs to be fully up and running before you start the download with the EOS Utility.  I think they give you this option because transferring photos with GPS data is not as fast as transferring files without GPS data.  Apparently, the camera reads the log files, and updates the EXIF data during the download.

This is mostly incorrect (it is correct that GPS must be on and the GPS icon not flashing).

GPS data is appended to the file when the image is written to the card.

GPS data can be seen by any software that reads an EXIF file. I don't transfer via EOSU. I use a card reader.

Annotation 2020-08-07 142924.jpg

It is true that in addition to recording GPS data to the image a GPS Log File can be created. It has nothing to do with the images. It is just a beread crumb file of each GPS data recording that can be viewed in EOS Log Utility to see the path that was traveled. It will work, if enabled, even if photos aren't taken. Camera just needs to be powered on.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

This is mostly incorrect (it is correct that GPS must be on and the GPS icon not flashing).

GPS data can be seen by any software that reads an EXIF file. I don't transfer via EOSU. I use a card reader.

It is true that in addition to recording GPS data to the image a GPS Log File can be created. It has nothing to do with the images. It is just a beread crumb file of each GPS data recording that can be viewed in EOS Log Utility to see the path that was traveled. It will work, if enabled, even if photos aren't taken. Camera just needs to be powered on.

Which GPS are you talking about, internal or external?  The 6D2 uses the internal GPS.

[EDIT] If the GPS isn't turned on when data is downloaded with the EOS Utility, there will be no GPS data in the EXIF.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Which GPS are you talking about, internal or external?  The 6D2 uses the internal GPS.

[EDIT] If the GPS isn't turned on when data is downloaded with the EOS Utility, there will be no GPS data in the EXIF.

1. Actual experience with I nternal GPS for 1D X Mark III, along with reading the 6D Mark II manual. 

2. The edited entry is generally incorrect. It might be correct if shooting tethered with EOSU, but if file is written to both card and camera then it is incorrect because GPS data will be captured by the image. 

3. The LR 9.3 update is irrelevant. GPS data still shows in metadata. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"1. Actual experience with I nternal GPS for 1D X Mark III, along with reading the 6D Mark II manual. 

2. The edited entry is generally incorrect. It might be correct if shooting tethered with EOSU, but if file is written to both card and camera then it is incorrect because GPS data will be captured by the image. 

3. The LR 9.3 update is irrelevant. GPS data still shows in metadata."

----------------------------

I am not sure if tethered shooting is actually involved.  I think files are simply being imported from the camera.

I guess that's what I'm getting at, is that the GPS data is not being added to the metadata.  I just looked back and the GPS metadata was last added to my images on May 5, 2020.  After that, I've been adding them manually to images.

The log file in camera is still intact and I'm downloading it.  I just wonder if maybe there is a limit to the amount of data the log file can store.

I'll soon know, because transferring the data to a memory card wipes the log data file in camera.

@Dave-R wrote:

I guess that's what I'm getting at, is that the GPS data is not being added to the metadata.  I just looked back and the GPS metadata was last added to my images on May 5, 2020.  After that, I've been adding them manually to images.

The log file in camera is still intact and I'm downloading it.  I just wonder if maybe there is a limit to the amount of data the log file can store.

I'll soon know, because transferring the data to a memory card wipes the log data file in camera.

There may be some subtle differences in how internal GPS operates between the 6D2 and the 1DxIII.  

I am not aware of any limit on the size of a log file.  I believe the logs are written to the memory card.  They may get erased when they are downloaded to the computer with the EOS Utility.  I'll need to check on that.  If there is a limit, then it would be the amount of available space on the memory card.

Announcements