cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D with a Tamron 28-300mm Di PZD Lens.

AHC6D
Contributor
I have had terrific experience with this combo until recently. On a trip to Scotland the camera would not respond to the shutter being tripped. The lens would not auto focus when shutter button was pushed. After several tries the 6D would fire, but not always. I have cleaned and dried the contacts between the lens and body which did not seem to have any impact. When it fires all is fine - lens focusses and image is captured. This anomaly has continued on a periodic, but not predictable pattern. Looking for thoughts on the underlying issue. Thanks,
15 REPLIES 15

" I believe that the OP was speaking about storage conditions ..."

Doesn't matter my gear goes where I go.  It is stored where I am.  No special consideration is given to it over where I happen to be.  I have five cameras sitting right here on my computer desk right now. I use my cameras on a daily basis so there is no time for special storage considerations.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AHC6D
Contributor
I agree with your strategy point. Just wondering about things to test for.

@AHC6D wrote:
I agree with your strategy point. Just wondering about things to test for.

Troubleshooting electronic circuits involves the low level tracing of the signal paths from start to finish.  Eventually, you will find a point where the signals break down, and this is where the fault lies.

A similar approach can be used to perform high level troubleshooting.  The first question to resolve is whether or not the problem lies with the camera body, or the lens.  Try the lens on a different camera body, to see if the problem "moves" with the lens.  Try a different lens on the camera body, to see if the problem "persists' with the camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It also helps to really know the system - this works for cars, too. Someone said that Feynman could "Fix radios by thinking!", which is the idea here.

You get to know the system really well, so that you can piece together all the symptoms and pinpoint the problem. Recently we were having trouble with a computer that would crash. Sometimes the hard disk would freeze, sometimes the internet would freeze and sometimes the graphics would be screwey. We had just replaced the graphics card, but I got to thinking what could be common to all those systems...the power supply! I replaced that and so far things seem to be working.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have cleaned and dried the contacts between the lens and body which did not seem to have any impact."

This rarely to never works.  It is usually a waste of time.  The act of mounting and removing the lens tends to 'clean' the contacts.  People that put the lens on and never remove it can benefit from cleaning.

All camera/lens combos have their limits.  You probably exceeded yours.

The way to tell is to clear all settings.  Set the 6D to 'P' mode.  The lens to AF.  ISO around 200 to 400.  Go outside on a nice sunny day and try it.  Shoot a subject 25 to 30 feet away and see if it works.

If it does there isn't anything wrong with the gear.  If it doesn't or in still internment, call Canon Service as you will need it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AHC6D
Contributor
Did as you suggested. All works fine. At this point I will watch to see if the problem recurs then will contact Canon repair. Thanks for the help.
Announcements