cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D to EOS RP or EOS R!!

kenyangomes
Apprentice

I am really conflicted on what to do.

If I upgrade my 6D to an EOS RP will I need noticeable difference in IQ. I already know the auto focus will be really improved. I do not shoot video so the EOS RP shortcomings in that dept. really don't effect me.

I could also get the EOS R but if I can save $1000 I am all for it.

Thanks for the help.

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Due to battery life and my modest EF lens investment, I'm not ready for either at this point, but if I had to do one or the other I'd buy the RP.

I'm not a professional photographer.  The R shares the same sensor as the 5D4, the RP the 6D2.  The RP body is a little smaller and I like that.  The R has a top panel LCD, I use this more than I thought I would on my 6D2, but most say the dial on the RP makes up for the lack of the LCD on the RP.

The RP also has a focus bracketing feature for unlimited DOF.  R does not, but of course the sensor in the R is 5D4 proven and with the electrical enhacements mirrorless offers is nothing to shake a stick at. 

The real story is this.  No one can tell you which camera is going to work best for you since we all have different reqiirements and use our camera's differently.  The price of the RP is attractive, but the real investment is going to be in your glass.

R is first gen, RP second gen.  Neither are ready for prime time (my opinion).  But again, for some either might meet their needs and make them very happy.  I view both as stepping stones,  So I would do the RP and start investing in glass.. then upgrade my body to Gen 3 or 4 when ready.  But what I would do may not be what's best for you.

Others here will have great insight and will chime in I'm sure. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Iamintexas
Contributor

Put your conflict to rest. Get the EOS R with the adapter ring.You don't need the RF lenses, yet.

BTW. How many EOS R reviews have you read or listened to from beginning to end? Should be at least 30.

Anytime I have a conflict, I am always told to "google it". Hundreds of results turn up, and I go through as many of them as I can. After 30 or so reviews, I have enough information to make a wise choice without anyone's help but my own.

Try googling something like "Canon EOS R vs EOS RP".

".

Sorry, but I really don't want to be responsible for telling anyone which camera to decide on. I have been wrong before, many times.

Come back and tell us which one you bought!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I do not think you will see a noticeable increase in IQ, which is different from an increase in resolution. Of course, a lot will depend upon the type of shooting that you do.

Your lenses play a bigger role in IQ than the body. With the higher resolution you could crop with less loss of details. If that is your definition of better IQ, then the R or RP will give better IQ. I say it is not.

I do not see where you would gain a whole lot by “upgrading” from a 6D.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I do not think you will see a noticeable increase in IQ, ...Your lenses play a bigger role in IQ than the body."

IMHO, if I were in the upgrade mood from a 6D, which I would have never bought in the first place, I would go to a 6D Mk II.

I am not a fan of mirrorless yet.  Stick with a known DSLR for now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Iamintexas
Contributor

Kenyangomes, are you there?

Thanks.

@Iamintexas wrote:

Kenyangomes, are you there?

Thanks.

Another post with a funny looking link at the end and no response from the OP.

I suspect maybe he's gone "phishing".

Vinaykumar
Apprentice

I recently bought EOS RP , upgraded from my 6D, bought adapter and using my old canon 24-105/F4 and 70-300/f4 lens for my budget and purpose its perfect I am not into sports photography, for me its worth every penny

Vinaykumar
Apprentice
Yes I am here
Announcements