cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D shutter speed changes?????

SMiller
Apprentice

Hi everyone, I am new here and if this question has been asked previously please point me to the post. I did browse through the previous questions but did not see this particular problem.

My probles lies with my 6D I shoot automobile racing with a 70-200 2.8 and a 580EXII flash, A couple weeks back during the night I was shooting manual mode and I noticed that my shutter speed kept changing on it's own, so I switched to TV mode and it worked fine for one week, but I noticed last night it started doing the same thing. I am setting my speed at 400 and repeatedly it would change to 200 or even lower, thus making my shots overexposed. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening??

12 REPLIES 12

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Oh, yes, I do remember that.  Yes it was the mode dial that kept switching.  Man and it hasn't been all that long since I sold off all my xD cameras.  Smiley Embarassed

But it still can't accidentialy be changed on the 1 D series.  Most controls require two buttons or dials.

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if the 7D2 doesn't have the same type of (locking) mode dial as the 5D3. Canon even offers an aftermarket modification to install a locking dial on the 7D. I never had it done to my 7D's because it costs $100, but there have been times when I've wished I had.

Truth be told, the locking dial is a bit awkward to use, since you have to keep one finger on the button while two others turn the dial. An old man's gnarled fingers can find that a bit of a chore. The shutter dial of at least one of my film Nikons had a better arrangement: you pulled up the rim of the dial and turned it to set the speed. Then when you let go, it snapped back down and couldn't be turned.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It is gone altogether on the 1D series.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

soulzeshifter
Apprentice

Hi,

I've been browsing about this issue and the answers so far couldn't help me. then i just played around with my setting which has been a while since i did it. And somehow i found the the solution for me..not sure it's the same issue for those seeking the answer though

Mine is solved by going to C.FnI : Exposure, then in menu no, 6 - Exposure Safety Shift. somehow it was set to 1. Enable (Tv/Av). not sure if it was the standard setting. But once i disable it, my shutter is not changing anymore when i use shutter priority

i've tested the Av mode, it still works as it used to (shutter changes according to the set apperture). and my problem solved now!!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements